3300 malfunctioning

tea2085

I just had a long and tedious thread on my camera not focusing. Thought the guys solved my problem but even in auto focus it is still not even close to focusing. Now I can't delete any photos either. I feel the camera is malfunctioning. I bought the camera from B&H last September. They're closed now and I am very anxious about getting it fixed. If others have had a similar problem with a B&H purchased camera, what steps did you take to have it repaired? Paul

Horoscope Fish

I just had a long and tedious thread on my camera not focusing. Thought the guys solved my problem but even in auto focus it is still not even close to focusing. Now I can't delete any photos either. I feel the camera is malfunctioning. I bought the camera from B&H last September. They're closed now and I am very anxious about getting it fixed. If others have had a similar problem with a B&H purchased camera, what steps did you take to have it repaired? Paul
I would definitely speak with B&H about your problem. You can relax, though, B&H is one of the best in the business and they'll stand behind whatever they sold you. It may be a little inconvenient, but they'll make things right for you.

tea2085

Well, I charged the battery even though it said I had half left. I thought it may be a problem because multiple problems showed all at once. Now I just have to figure out why I'm getting a misread on battery status. Paul

tea2085

J-See- should it be locked or unlocked? fotojack- how would I check and where would I locate the latest firmware? Thanks guys- Paul

fotojack

J-See- should it be locked or unlocked? fotojack- how would I check and where would I locate the latest firmware? Thanks guys- Paul

Paul...in your camera menu, under the little icon that looks like a wrench...scroll through that menu till you come to the line that says Firmware. That will tell you what firmware you have in the camera. To find out if there are any updates for it, go to Nikon DSLR Cameras | Shop Digital Camera & Accessories.

I just checked for you.
D3300​
no firmware updates available

Last edited:

tea2085

Super, my firmware says C in a white box followed by 1.00. Under that there is an L in a white box followed by 2.002. Thanks for the time. Paul

tea2085

This is getting really discouraging. I thought that yesterday after charging my battery (though it said I had half left), it seemed to resolve the issue. Toay I go out and try the same pics-there is no focus ready sign and it took really blurry pictures.

J-see

This is getting really discouraging. I thought that yesterday after charging my battery (though it said I had half left), it seemed to resolve the issue. Toay I go out and try the same pics-there is no focus ready sign and it took really blurry pictures.

Did you try setting the cam on shoot upon focus only? If you select AF-S S, the cam should only release when it has obtained focus. In AF-C, you can shoot without it being in focus.

Last edited:

tea2085

I can't get the camera to stay on AF_S if in auto mode It will stay on in manual and P mode, I took a couple of pictures in aperature priority mode and the shutter did release resulting in really out of focus pics.

J-see

I can't get the camera to stay on AF_S if in auto mode It will stay on in manual and P mode, I took a couple of pictures in aperature priority mode and the shutter did release resulting in really out of focus pics.

If you're shooting in a mode that allows upon release the cam starts exposure the moment you fully press the button and doesn't bother about focus. Normally you should be able to set AF-S in A and S mode.

When shooting upon release, you have to keep an eye on focus yourself else nothing good will happen.

In the left lower corner of your viewfinder you see a dot or arrows. >0<. If there is no dot or only arrows, don't fully press since the cam has not obtained focus.

Last edited:

tea2085

There are no arrows or <O> when I depress the button half way. I think I,m going to have to send it to Nikon for repair. I am suspect of the battery and wonder if that's working for the cam- juist don't know how to test it. Paul

tea2085

I sent the camera in for repair. I want to thank you guys for the help. This is a great hobby which you can take as deep or shallow as you want. The things I can do with this "entry level" camera blow my mind. You guys have gone "deep" with your hobby and have accomplished things I can only hope for (someday). BTW I also ordered a
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Zoom Lens and a new Lithium battery
today from B&H. Thanks gentlemen. Paul

Last edited: