Lightroom 6 Work-Around?

Canadia-Nikon

I am hoping some of you can help me understand this more clearly.

I am considering the purchase of a D7200 and I am aware of the required upgrade to Lightroom 6 for PP.

I have no issue with the $80 upgrade but I am curious......

Could I not use Capture NX-D to process RAW, save TIFF file and edit with Lightroom 5.7?

What advantages, if any, are there to just making the upgrade to Lightroom 6?

As always, your feedback is appreciated.

aced19

I would just download Adobe DNG Converter. Lets you convert a raw file to just about any version to work with older programs.

Any upgrade has it advantages. Me personally I would save your $80 and put it towards a new lens for your new 7200.

JackStalk

I am hoping some of you can help me understand this more clearly.

I am considering the purchase of a D7200 and I am aware of the required upgrade to Lightroom 6 for PP.

I have no issue with the $80 upgrade but I am curious......

Could I not use Capture NX-D to process RAW, save TIFF file and edit with Lightroom 5.7?

What advantages, if any, are there to just making the upgrade to Lightroom 6?

As always, your feedback is appreciated.

I'm tempted to buy it just for the HDR capability because neither of my bodies do in-camera HDR.

BackdoorArts

Another vote for the DNG converter if you're not inclined to upgrade. Smaller file than the TIFF.

Advantages to upgrading to 6? HDR and Pano merge if you do them. Improvements to the gradient tools allowing you to use local brushes within the tool for masking or other tweaking. Easier use of Collections during import. If you're inclined to use any of that then go for it. More bells and whistles on the CC end if you like the idea of LR Mobile (I don't have a need for it - I see it as more an advantage for the full time, traveling photographer).

Woodyg3

Contributor
There are lots of options, but chances are high that you are going to want to upgrade somewhere down the line. $80 isn't a ton of money to pay to just be able to work with Lightroom and avoid having to do workarounds, IMO. Also, the Creative Cloud $9.99 a month gives you an always up to date Lightroom plus Photoshop at a very reasonable price. That's the route I went, and I will never miss the $10 a month, but I'll be quite happy knowing I'm always up to date and that I can finally afford to use and learn Photoshop.

Just my 2 cents. :)