Weekly Challenge June 21-29: Cutlines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Browncoat

20110406-SDN-3.jpg
Troy Baker of the Cavaliers looks to return a volley in tennis action Tuesday night at Lehman High School.

Cutlines
Weekly Challenge June 21-29

The winner of the Flowers...with a Twist challenge was: me. And since I will be busy tomorrow morning, I am posting this challenge a day early.

This week, you will all be photojournalists! Not only will you be taking a photo, but you will be writing your own cutlines to describe your submissions. A cutline is required of most photojournalists when turning in photo assignments. They describe who, what, when, where, how, and why. Cutlines should be concise, but descriptive.

There are some special rules this week:
You must photograph a person...and it must be someone that you don't know!

Have fun everyone!

Be sure to visit the Weekly Challenge Rules & Guidelines for more information. This thread will be closed on June 29th...so get those photos in!

The Rules

1. Photos must be posted to the thread in order to be considered for the challenge.
  2. Any photo submitted for a weekly challenge must be taken during the dates specified in the challenge thread and taken by you! Because not all EXIF data can be verified, we will use the honor system here.
  3. Challenges will be judged solely by the winner of the previous week. There will be no individual voting.
  4. Only one photo entry per member, for each challenge.

There will be no cash or prizes awarded for the Weekly Challenge, unless specifically noted by the site administrator. This is a member-run contest, and the purpose of the Weekly Challenge is to encourage member participation on the forums and to keep you taking pictures!

Any photo will be accepted for the challenge. Edited/straight out of the camera, it does not matter. You are left with complete freedom to do whatever genre of photography you wish to do, and your own interpretation of the challenge subject.

Browncoat

There are some special rules this week:
You must photograph a person...and it must be someone that you don't know!

Just to clarify this....

You can photograph anyone: a man crossing the street, someone coming out of the bank, kids playing at the park, etc. But you must get their name (don't have to use last names) and provide a brief summary of what they are doing in the photo.

Each day at the newspaper I work for, we are required to provide a "Feature Photo" for the front page. Usually we find people riding bikes, working in their garden, or some other outdoor activity. This challenge gives you the opportunity to experience assignment shooting. We sort of do that with every weekly challenge, but this one ups the ante because you are required to actually engage your subject by approaching them and asking for information. It's quite different than just pressing the button from across the street and walking away.

Additional tips for this challenge:
1. Use a shallow DoF and crop in tight. In photojournalism, there is no room for fluff. You really want to make the subject of your photo obvious, so try to blur out the background if possible, and do some editing in post to crop in on the action you're describing with your cutline.

2. Carry a small notepad and a pen with you.

3. Grow a pair. This challenge is tough, but it will also be rewarding, especially if you're a shy shutterbug. I think you'll be surprised at how cooperative people are when you approach them and tell them what you're doing.

jcottone45

Sounds exciting to me, hell in NYC & metro area are a treasure trove of happenings for sure, I may even have to defend myself when I ask for their name & explain what I am up to. Anyone have an extra pair of brass knuckles I gave my black Jack to a female cousin of mine years ago, no one ever bothered her again.

Jacqueline

Sounds exciting to me, hell in NYC & metro area are a treasure trove of happenings for sure, I may even have to defend myself when I ask for their name & explain what I am up to. Anyone have an extra pair of brass knuckles I gave my black Jack to a female cousin of mine years ago, no one ever bothered her again.

I lived in New York for almost twenty years and I find your comment very insulting.

Kim20

What a fun challenge! I am one of the shy myself. Cant wait to get out there and see what kind of interesting people I can find. A tough one for sure, I love the added journalism bit as well.

ohkphoto

Snow White
I lived in New York for almost twenty years and I find your comment very insulting.
I'm sure Joe was talking about "specific parts" of NYC and not the whole city. I've spent time in many cities of the world, and they ALL have their "brass knuckle" areas
. . . . including NM biggest city, Albuquerque. You definitely don't want to be walking on Broadway and Central (ABQ) with $2000 worth of equipment.

jcottone45

I was told by the boss that I'll be completing my "Honey Do List" (more like do something around here or else) this weekend, so I may not get the chance to participate,boo hoo for me, this is one I really would like to try. I may sneak out to the shore by Lower NY Bay or Coney Island & take a crack at it (pictures that is). If you don't hear from me for awhile,it'll mean she caught me.!!!
Does pictures of bathing beauties count???? Or is that too easy????

Dave Hamilton

This will be fun for me seeing that I'm in Guatemala and I only know 6 people in the entire country. I'll be out and about today and I'm kind of nervous about bringing out my D7000 in Guatemala City. We will be moving into smaller cities later in our visit so I should have some better pics to choose from before next Thursday.

Hillary Clinton is staying about a block from me at the Weston, and Enrique Iglesias is staying here at the Barcelo tonight. Wouldn't it be interesting if...?

Carolina Photo Guy

Environmental Activist.jpg

Environmental activist Bugsy Wilson is shown pointing out the beginnings of Leaf Blight in Winston-Salem North Carolina. The leaf blight's appearance has begun to spread rapidly across the region.
AP Wire Photo... CFG Imaging

Attrb... Winston-Salem Journal

by line... Carolina Photo Guy

Bugs are people too! ;)

Last edited:

fotojack

I lived in NY for 5 years, first in Brooklyn, then Staten Island. There are certainly places that I would not venture into with any kind of camera gear. Certain parts of the Bronx comes to mind.

jcottone45

Jack, I have family in brooklyn,queens, staten island & the bronx I was born & raised in brooklyn near the waterfront ( back in the 50s on the waterfront was shot not far from my house).I was referring to the fact that many new yorkers don't like being asked if anyone could take their picture much less their name thats why I said I may have to defend myself, I am not now nor was I ever affraid to go into any neighborhood, I just wouldn't carry anything that even looked expensive.
If you ever do get here again, I'd like to meet you.!!!

fotojack

Jack, I have family in brooklyn,queens, staten island & the bronx I was born & raised in brooklyn near the waterfront ( back in the 50s on the waterfront was shot not far from my house).I was referring to the fact that many new yorkers don't like being asked if anyone could take their picture much less their name thats why I said I may have to defend myself, I am not now nor was I ever afraid to go into any neighborhood, I just wouldn't carry anything that even looked expensive.
If you ever do get here again, I'd like to meet you.!!!

Oh I would agree with you there, Joe, about New Yorkers not wanting anyone to take their picture AND their names! :) New York City is still a great city to me, though. Made a few good friends while I lived there. One can never forget NY, no matter how they try. :) My kids were born there, so it's not all that bad. :)
Hey thanks for the invite, Joe. You'd be an interesting guy to meet and have a few beers with. :)

JoeLewisPhotography

JoeH.jpg

Joe H. of Kenmore, NY (right) leads his team "Spoke Monkey's" along with seven thousand other cyclists in the annual "Ride for Roswell" to benefit Roswell Park Cancer Institute. This is Joe's tenth year riding, and tenth year in remission.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
An eye in the sky.
Marcel's hobby is powered chutes. He has one which he flies solo and a tandem. I happened to spot him while I was driving to the greenhouse, stopped the car, took a few shots and then followed him to his landing spot where I took the portrait. I hope I don't get disqualified because there a 2 shots. It took me a while to get them together as one image and download.

paracomp.jpg

Oh, and I forgot to mention that he offered to take me on his tandem so I can take aerial shots. :)

Last edited:

Dave Hamilton

guatemala_685.a.jpg

A police officer directs traffic at the main intersection in Panajachel, Guatemala. There are no traffic signals in town so his direction is paramount to keeping traffic flowing.

Un oficial de policía dirige el tráfico en la intersección principal en Panajachel, Guatemala. No hay señales de tráfico en la ciudad por lo que su dirección es de suma importancia para mantener el flujo de tráfico.

Nikon D7000
f/7.1
1/200 sec.
ISO-200
Focal Length 105mm
Lens Nikkor 18-105

Status
Not open for further replies.