exposure shift with continuos shots

wev

Contributor
Two images taken in a burst, both simply cropped, resized, and compressed for posting. Both display the same exif data, but look noticeably different in exposure. I have noticed a number of times. I didn't move, the squirrel didn't move, and the light was constant. What gives?

SQ_b.jpg

SQ_a.jpg

RON_RIP

They look bracketed but the data says no, Hum! Sometimes the magic box just does what ever it wants. i often think it does not pay to delve to closely in the inner workings of the magic box. These were not jpegs, were they? There is quite a contrast issue. Sharpness seems un affected.

wev

Contributor
They look bracketed but the data says no, Hum! Sometimes the magic box just does what ever it wants. i often think it does not pay to delve to closely in the inner workings of the magic box. These were not jpegs, were they? There is quite a contrast issue. Sharpness seems un affected.

Yes, jpegs -- I don't bother with raw, as I am idle and lazy. It is the contrast that varies, like the camera can't quite figure out what to do, though this was not a tricky light/contrast/focus situation.

Daz

You can see you have ever so slightly moved between shots, where was your focus point, it could be one shot the camera was metering for the dark part of the coat and the other on the lighter part of the coat ?

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Matrix vs center weighted vs single point metering. I would guess that single point would be more susceptible to an exposure shift than center weighted or matrix. Like Daz said, that could possibly cause it. Just a slight shift.

RON_RIP

Well you know my theory. There is a little Japanese person packed inside your camera who makes many of the exposure decisions when you shoot in jpeg. [Although these days the person is probably Chinese.]. This person probably blinked just as you pressed the shutter. The Big Ranger did not create a lazier dog than me, but I will not let someone else make my exposure decisions for me. I like to make my own mistakes. So that is why i always shoot in raw.:p

Woodyg3

Contributor
Does this happen with other lenses? Could be sticky aperture blades. I've had that happen before.

carguy

Were you in manual or Aperture Priority by chance? I've seen another discussion on a similar topic.

When I shoot sports in Continuous-HI and in Manual, I do not experience this on the D7100.

wev

Contributor
I always shoot manual mode, continuous Hi, AF-C, spot metering. I just checked, and active d-lighting was set to Auto, which I have turned to off. I will see if that has an effect.

It does also happen on my 16-300 and 90, as well

mikew_RIP

I had the same with some tests i did in the does high shutter speeds and OS work well,we came to the conclusion it was my framing that had changed hand holding a 600mm lens.