HELP.....the Green light just flah and flash....

suedekiller

Pleace do help me...my new Nikon D7000 have this green light on the back (memory card light) and every time I switch my camera off it just keep flashing and flashing???? What can I do??? I use memory card from my old Nikon D80 (SD Ultra 4 16GB)!!! It's a big problem because the battery run low at no time....help me????

Carolina Photo Guy

Have you tried formatting the card in the D7000?

You have told us the problem, but you have NOT told us what you have tried.

I think that the D7000 is having trouble reading the data set from the D80.

Hope this helps.

Mike150

I have to agree with Pete. There is a problem with the Memory card. An unformatted card would be the most common problem with a new camera.

Also, the D7000 has two memory card slots. If you have only one card, make sure it is plugged into slot 1. (That's the top one). The control panel will show what cards are inserted and should also indicate any errors with the card.

Errors on the control panel are described in the troubleshooting section of the user's manual.

Last edited:

suedekiller

I have formated the cards that I have, a 'hundred' times, but it still dosent work!!! I have tried changeing the cards....I have tried taking out the battery and startet the the cam from the beginning...I have tried one card only....NOTHING works!!
And now I can see that the cam is run out of battery again...and actually it have been laying turned off, with no memory card in!!! I DO NOT UNDERSTAND.....it look likes the sign on the cam. where you can se how many pic. you have left, is blinking....it look like this when there is no card in: - E - . It look likes is try to read a card that is not in..........HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fotojack

OK, first things first: who are you, where do you live, did you buy the camera new, is it still under warranty? We need as much information as possible to be able to help you. And typing in big capitol letters is called yelling! Don't yell! :) It doesn't help.
My first suggestion.......take it back to where you bought it, and explain/show them the problem. They may be able to fix it right there on the spot. Worst case scenerio, they may have to send it in to be repaired. This may be a serious electronic problem that is not user fixable.
Let us know how you get this fixed. I'd be curious to know what caused this malfunction. Good luck.

JoeLewisPhotography

On the top display it will read the # of shots left on the card, always, if the camera is on or off. If there is no card in the camera, it will read "-E-" which means "empty". This is completely normal. My D300's does it, and so does every other Nikon with the display on top. It does not drain the battery at a rate that is even noticeable. What you say you are seeing, or that it is "blinking" is not normal. Its hard to put together exactly what you are complaining about...your english is obviously broken, making it hard to understand, so take a few breaths, slow down and give more details to what is happening.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't know if this will help (my guess is nothing will except sending the cam back for service), but this is what I got in another forum:

"If you are referring to the infamous "Blinking Green Light of Death" (BGLOD) problem on the D70, that is a problem on the original D70 only, and the free repair is also restricted to the D70. The D70S is not covered. (The blinking green light is an indication of memory write or some electronic problem inside; it can happen to many DSLRs."

Please let us know how this turns out when you do find what the problem was.

EngineerScotty

There seems to be a problem on the D90 and D7000 that involves the "blinking green light" (the FLASH write indicator), but is different from the "blinking green light of death" on the D70. With the D70, the camera fails to work at all; this has been acknowledged as a defect by Nikon, who will (would?) fix it for free, even on cameras out of warranty. On the D90 and D7000, the camera works, but the following symptoms may appear:

* With camera in off position and both memory card and battery installed (it seems batteries installed in a grip have the same problem), the green light flashes; and battery drains rapidly (far more quickly than if camera were left on).

* The on/off/illuminate control doesn't work correctly--specifically, switching to "illuminate" may fail to illuminate the LCD backlight when it is off.

* When camera is first turned on, LCD (meaning the thing on the top, not the monitor LCD) comes on and stays on, until a photo is shot. Then, the monitor remains on all the time (until dismissed with the playback button) rather than appearing for 4 seconds (or whatever your setting is) and then disappearing.

* The two-button format and two-button reset functions do not work (at least on D90). You can format the memory card from the menus, but not with the two-button control.

What SEEMS to be the issue is that the off/on/illuminate button is being "stuck", either mechanically or electronically, and thus the camera acts as though it is being held in the "illuminate" position. What seems to work (it works for me) is to slide the switch to illuminate and then QUICKLY to off. If the green light still flashes, try it again; it may take several times. Once you get it in the good state, then DO NOT use the illuminate feature again.

Your mileage may vary, of course. I've heard enough reports of this issue that it's probably something that Nikon ought to look into as a design defect; so far, though, I've never heard of them fixing this for free (for cameras out of warranty).

Chuck

My D7000 was having the same battery problem. The green light next to the info button flashes and the battery drains quickly. After formatting the memory cards didn't fix the issue, I narrowed it down to the aftermarket battery grip. With the grip installed, the light blinks even with the camera off. Remove the grip and no blinky green light. Guess I'll have to cough up the cash for the Nikon grip.

Chuck G

phillsky

I had the same problem with my D7000, and an aftermarket battery grip. It did that until I installed a battery in the grip. I have the grip where you can use 6 AA batteries or a EN-EL15 battery, I just installed 4 AA batteries and it stopped blinking.

Last edited:

phillsky

I had the same problem with my D7000, and an aftermarket battery grip. It did that until I installed a battery in the grip. I have the grip where you can use 6 AA batteries or a EN-EL15 battery, I just installed 4 AA batteries and it stopped blinking.

I had to return the grip, nothing worked on it after a while. Got the new one today, everything works fine now, fingers crossed it will continue to work.