Nikon Waterproof "All Weather" AW120 - review

Blade Canyon

I bought the Nikon AW120 compact camera for a sailing trip to Bermuda next week. When we made the same sail 13 years ago, 3 different cameras were destroyed by salt water. In testing, I have been very pleased with both the still pictures and the video of this waterproof camera.

The AW120 has 16mp and is more than waterproof... you can shoot underwater, even in salt water! (If it goes in salt water, the instructions say to soak it in fresh water for at least 10 minutes, then dry it, before you open it to charge the battery or to change the memory card.)

The HD video looks good, which you can see in the very first clip in this Flickr album from last weekend:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/41728000@N08/sets/72157652333709672/

All images and video in that album were made with the AW120.

The camera is $250 new. It does not have a viewfinder, which makes it tough to use accurately in bright sunlight because the screen gets washed out. It has a GPS feature, but if you use that then the GPS stays on for up to six hours after you turn off the camera, draining your battery super fast. I'm leaving that off.

It has an electronic compass and also a built in altimeter, which is not very accurate. I was at sea level, so I manually reset the camera to 3 feet above sea level. An hour later, the camera said I was 157 feet below sea level. I kept resetting it back to sea level, but it made no difference, the numbers jumped everywhere.

The camera also has built in Wifi, which is not something I use much now, but I might haul this camera up the mast during our sail, then use my phone to trigger some pictures.

Overall, however, I am impressed with the rugged construction and the quality of the photographs this camera can produce.

Here's a very short video:

https://flic.kr/p/s93Pat

Blade Canyon

https://www.flickr.com/photos/41728000@N08/sets/72157654203321742/with/18408665999/

I used this camera on the Appalachian Trail this weekend. (The Bermuda sailing trip was a bust due to Tropical Storm Ana.) Although the construction is sturdy, the limited 16mp sensor and JPEG-only output have me realizing how good my DSLRs can be. For example, I tried to bring out some details in the sky pics, but they were completely washed out. With my DSLRs shooting RAW, it's seems so easy to get details out of the highlights. This camera is pretty much Auto only. There are some scene settings (landscape, portrait), but no manual settings per se.

Of course, why should I be surprised that a $270 camera is not as good as a $2k DSLR or even a $500 Sony RX100?

PapaST

Nice flickr album. I think the little Nikon handled well. And on the AT it's nice to know it can take some abuse. You should look into getting a stick pic. It's a small attachment that let's you stick the camera on the end of your hiking pole. You can get some great perspectives with it.

StickPic Home

AC016

Nice flickr album. I think the little Nikon handled well. And on the AT it's nice to know it can take some abuse. You should look into getting a stick pic. It's a small attachment that let's you stick the camera on the end of your hiking pole. You can get some great perspectives with it.

StickPic Home

A selfie stick for hikers, lol :p