D7200 review

photogramps

Any one notice the difference in colour with the goose ?

I did, a bit odd ... but I was well pleased at the reviewers comments about the D7200's AF ability...

I was impressed at how well the D7200 kept focus on the bird once I had it locked in. It’s not foolproof, but it gave me a higher hit rate in such scenarios than my D7000/D4s/D810.

Anyway mine came today so later this week I will get the chance to try it for birds/wildlife ... initial test at 1/15th f4 ISO 1250 indoors seemed very good :)

mikew_RIP

I did, a bit odd ... but I was well pleased at the reviewers comments about the D7200's AF ability...

Anyway mine came today so later this week I will get the chance to try it for birds/wildlife ... initial test at 1/15th f4 ISO 1250 indoors seemed very good :)

Looking forward to your thoughts,even though you parted with that great lens and traded down :D

Woodyg3

Contributor
The color differences in the goose just look to be white balance to me.

The DxO review is all about the sensor and the DxOMark method of rating camera sensors. While I think hte D7200 sensor is clearly the best DX sized sensor on the market, especially when paired with the Expeed 4 processor, there is a lot more to a camera than just the sensor.

All that said, the Photography Life article has a lot of good information. He clearly shows the situations where a crop sensor camera makes sense, and can even out perform a full sized sensor in certain situations. It's pretty clear that the D7200 is a very good performer. Thanks for posting the review, Mike!

photogramps

Most of my photography is wildlife/birds and for that a crop camera really makes a difference.
I've had a D4S and still have a D4 ... brilliant in their own way but when I'm sitting across the pond from the little Kingfisher it's necessary to use a TC with the resultant negatives.
My 500mm f4 is 750mm equiv with a crop camera but needs a 1.4 to get close to that on a full frame, put that same 1.4 on the crop and I've got 1050mm equiv!
If the ISO and particularly AF improvements reported for the D7200 are anything like correct I don't think I am going to be disappointed ... I've read at least one good wildlife tog, who adopted an early D7200, suggest that after using it there is little point to his D4S ... we shall see :)

photogramps

Used my new D7200 for the first time today in really poor light and was well impressed with the AF, I had a higher % of 'keepers' than with any other camera body I have used ... then when I got home I realised I had forgotten to remove the TC 1.7 from the lens before I fitted the D7200, so had been making it even harder for myself than necessary!
Wonder how much better the fast Little Tern would have been if I had realised :)

Little-Tern.jpg

Last edited:

J-see

I walked by the store today and ah well... I had to know about the ISOless performance.

I only took some quick shots and need to fine-tune the Tam and check a thing or two in cam which doesn't work as I desire but my first impression is positive. Focus is fast although I can't find my additional focus points and even when not tuned, it takes a sharp shot when it hits. The colors and contrast is ok too. The cam profiles suck and I have to find something better but all in all, I think I'm going to keep it for shooting the big Tam.

_DSC0016.jpg

This shot is so-so.

Last edited:

J-see

I seem to have a hard time tuning the Tamron. I'll try again tomorrow.

There's something strange going on with the red channel. There's too much red in the light and highlight area which turns my shots actually red in RT and even when using Capture NX-D Tiffs, the red channel still is weird. It might explain why red detail disappears when using high ISO since the top levels merge and there will be more and more uniform red in the shot.

I sense a firmware fix in the near future.

_DSC0066.jpg

I can underexpose the shot quite some and when normalizing in post, still have a pretty clean shot. Cleaner than when I do the same with the D810.

Last edited:

cbay

I seem to have a hard time tuning the Tamron. I'll try again tomorrow.

Looks like you got it on this one. That's one of my fears of getting another camera. The Tammy is spot on with my 7000, no adjustment needed. If it is off and you tune it at your most common focal range at, say 20 ft, will it keep accurate tune at different focal lengths / distances?

There have been issues reported with reds on the camera but wasn't sure how big a deal it was.

Last edited:

J-see

Looks like you got it on this one. That's one of my fears of getting another camera. The Tammy is spot on with my 7000, no adjustment needed. If it is off and you tune it at your most common focal range at, say 20 ft, will it keep accurate tune at different focal lengths / distances?

There have been issues reported with reds on the camera but wasn't sure how big a deal it was.

I was tuning the Tam and when done, noticed I had tuned her at 150mm. It required -7. When I tuned her again at 600mm, I suddenly required +11. When shooting at +11, many shots were out of focus and I now dialed her back to +7. I shoot her at +7 on the D750 and she performs well. I don't use any adjustment on the D810.

The red channel isn't an issue in post if you use Nikon soft but when I use the Adobe cam profiles they're off the chart. This is the first cam profile acting this weird. And it's all of the D7200 profiles, from the standard to flat. It makes me curious if it already occurs in the RAW file or if it is a post issue that needs to be solved. But since there is an issue too with red detail at higher ISO, I would not be surprised if something isn't correctly converted into the digital RAW.

I tried converting to DNG and then it delivers about the same shot as Nikon soft does which still doesn't say much about why the red shifts occurs in RT when I load the RAW directly or use the cam profiles there. Strangely it also requires more time than my D810 to render a preview in Capture.

Last edited:

J-see

kwestjon:

Is it normal you only see one focus point with the D7200/7100 even if selecting d9 or d51? Or is it some option (I can't find) that one can enable?

I'm used to seeing the whole selection in use with my other cams which makes tracking or panning easier. At least for me.

J-see

The D7200 can take a pretty shot with the Tam but , like on my others, it performs much better at 400mm than anywhere else. It also takes some practice shooting DX again.

_D720331.jpg

Horoscope Fish

kwestjon:

Is it normal you only see one focus point with the D7200/7100 even if selecting d9 or d51? Or is it some option (I can't find) that one can enable?

I'm used to seeing the whole selection in use with my other cams which makes tracking or panning easier. At least for me.
Yes, that's normal. If you want to see the entire array illuminated, press and hold the button in the center of the AF/MF switch on the camera body. The focus point array will illuminate in the viewfinder as long as you press the button.

J-see

This review may have been posted and i missed it but i found it interesting

https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-d7200

I was reading that review and when he starts comparing the sharpness against the other cams, I had to frown since I surely don't have the same experience. Then I checked the EXIFs and when you start magnifying and processing shots differently you sure can influence what you want to look best.

Not a very scientific approach he's taking there.

Woodyg3

Contributor
If you are referring to the wildlife shots which point out the advantage of the greater reach with the same focal length lens by the DX sensor vs an FX sensor, it is a very scientific approach since it compares the images at the SIZE THEY WILL BE VIEWED. Too many people simply look at 100% crops without regard to the real life size that the picture will be viewed in. Full frame pictures have to be cropped significantly to be the same angle of view as a DX sensor. The review takes this into consideration when making comparisons.

Clearly, when you can control camera to subject distance, the FX cameras will still have advantages. I can't get that crazy Kingfisher to come any closer and pose for me, though. :)