Filters ......

muzza

I'm looking at buying a nd and a c-pl filters I have 3lenses I want to use them on with sizes of 58 58 67 mm would there be any adverse affects getting them in 67mm and using a step up adapter ?

J-see

Nope. The only disadvantage is that the filter will be larger than the smaller lenses and you have to be more careful. You probably can't use lens hoods but it is advised to shoot CPL without so if there is any bright external light source, you got to use your hand to shield the lens.

I'm doing doing the same, I buy for my widest lens and then use rings for the smaller ones.

480sparky

Get 77mm filters. You won't have to worry about vignetting, and if you ever step up to top-self glass, you won't need adapters.

muzza

Just for reference I have a 50mm f1.8 28-80mm f3.5 70-300 all Nikon
i was thinking of getting the nd 8 made by Kenko and the c-pl also made by Kenko although the nd may not be very useful on the 70-300 so I may get a 67pl and 58nd

Fred Kingston

Or you could look at a Cokin system... and buy one set of ND, and CPLs and adaptors for all your current and future lenses for the price you'd pay for a single CPL...

Ruidoso Bill

To be honest, rings are a pain in the ear, not easy over time, I would suggest buying thr correct size for the lens you prefer/use the most, buy additional filters when you are able. I actually don't use filters that much, another thing to keep in mind is buy lenses with the same size opennings.

Horoscope Fish

To be honest, rings are a pain in the ear, not easy over time, I would suggest buying thr correct size for the lens you prefer/use the most, buy additional filters when you are able. I actually don't use filters that much, another thing to keep in mind is buy lenses with the same size opennings.
Have to agree... Step up/down rings suck. Oh sure, the idea sounds good on paper but, in actual practice, they suck. I too suggest getting the right size filter for your lenses.

FastGlass

I don't use step down rings but can't think of how difficult they could be. Seems like you just screw on the ring and screw on your filter. Seems pretty simple. If I had a few lens's with diff front elements. That's the route I would go.

480sparky

Have to agree... Step up/down rings suck. Oh sure, the idea sounds good on paper but, in actual practice, they suck. I too suggest getting the right size filter for your lenses.

Well, if I did that, I'd be lugging around 52, 55, 58, 62, 67 and 77mm filters. And I don't buy the cheap filters.

Horoscope Fish

Well, if I did that, I'd be lugging around 52, 55, 58, 62, 67 and 77mm filters. And I don't buy the cheap filters.
Yup, pretty much. Just like you have to lug around the lenses themselves that require 52, 55, 58, 62, 67 and 77mm filters. And I don't buy cheap filters either. For me it's simply less hassle to carry the filters for the lenses I own than to be screwing around, literally, with step-rings. If it's not for you, then don't.

RocketCowboy

And...... I do own lenses that take all those sizes. So I don't see the sense to buy 18 high-end filters.

I only counted 6 sizes...

I'm sure I'm not buying filters in the same ballpark as you guys, but I do have filters for each lens. Every sense has a clear/UV filter for it, and most all have their own CPL. The ND filters I didn't go crazy with, and just did 58 and 77mm, but they get less use at this point for me. I've got 52mm, 58mm, 62mm, 67mm, 77mm, and 95mm. I use the Hoya HD2 filters at this point, after phasing out the gear that came in my first kit.

Horoscope Fish

And...... I do own lenses that take all those sizes.
Good for you. I never said or implied anything to the contrary so I'm failing to see your point here.

So I don't see the sense to buy 18 high-end filters.
So, once again, if you find it's less hassle then don't buy filters that "fit". Again... I'm failing to see you point. Do what works for you. I really couldn't less what, specifically, that is. I'm simply stating my opinion that step up/down rings suck and that I'd rather not use them. I'm entitled to that opinion. If you want to use step up/down rings by all means, please... Go forth and use step up/down rings to your little heart's content.

480sparky

........... Again... I'm failing to see you point...............

Then let me explain.

I have 3 filters I use on a regular basis; 10x ND, 8-stop VND and CPL.

I'll use Adorama's pricing for these three in the 6 sizes.

CPL:
52: $63
55: $65
58: $79
62: $70
67: $95
77: $160

VND:
52: $106
55: $106
58: $125
62: $134
67: $153
77: $193

10-stop ND:
52: $43
55: $49
58: $56
62: $69
67: $75
77: $97

Last time I went to school, that all adds up to $1,739. Given that I use a Singh-Ray VND and B+W for a 10-stop ND instead of Adorama's store brand, I'm sure I would spend closer to 3 grand for filters.

I don't know about you, but I certainly can think of a much better way to spend two thousand bucks. Maybe......... just maybe....................... spend less than one thousand on 3 filters plus a handful of adapters might be a better option for me.

If buying lots of different sizes of filters works for you, by all means go for it. You don't need to explain it to me.

Horoscope Fish

Then let me explain.

I have 3 filters I use on a regular basis; 10x ND, 8-stop VND and CPL.

I'll use Adorama's pricing for these three in the 6 sizes.

CPL:
52: $63
55: $65
58: $79
62: $70
67: $95
77: $160

VND:
52: $106
55: $106
58: $125
62: $134
67: $153
77: $193

10-stop ND:
52: $43
55: $49
58: $56
62: $69
67: $75
77: $97

Last time I went to school, that all adds up to $1,739. Given that I use a Singh-Ray VND and B+W for a 10-stop ND instead of Adorama's store brand, I'm sure I would spend closer to 3 grand for filters.

I don't know about you, but I certainly can think of a much better way to spend two thousand bucks. Maybe......... just maybe....................... spend less than one thousand on 3 filters plus a handful of adapters might be a better option for me.

If buying lots of different sizes of filters works for you, by all means go for it. You don't need to explain it to me.
I'm not arguing which method is cheaper; I'm stating which method is, IMO, simpler.

Bill16

I'm not sure what method I'd prefer when it comes to filters or filters with stepdown rings. But I am very interested in finding out which filters to get in the filters types mentioned!
I'd love to hear what you guys say are your go to filters, since you guys know what works great for you! Also the brands you chose! :)