Nikon FM

Scott Murray

Well thinking tonight I have decided to buy a Nikon FM camera. Along with 5 x 36 rolls of film.

Some people may ask why, my reasoning is that I love the feel and look of film. I also like the fact that I have to think about everything and nothing can really be fixed in post. I hope this makes me a better photographer and that it helps me think more about what I am photographing rather than just snapping and moving on. I am sure it will make me slow down and think.

I am looking forward to sharing my journey here and see if digital has made me a better photographer or made me lazy :)

The Nikon FM is Manual everything, doesn't really need batteries unless I want to use the light meter. I am thinking I will need to use the light meter or to buy one.

Link to the manual - http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/manuals/fmfefa/fm.pdf

Last edited:

480sparky

Why shoot film? Lots of reasons:

Film slows you down.
It has a look and feel that digital does not.
You end up learning photography all over again.
You'll love it when you 'get it' and it all comes together.
You stay focused on taking pictures.
You will make mistakes, and you will learn from them.
You end up with actual, physical photos.
You'll learn to 'get it right' in the camera.
It will transport you back in time.
Appeal of darkroom work (seeing image appear in developer).
Cost.
Old cameras are beautiful cameras.
It will help you stand out.
It makes you look cool.
The smaller size & weight is amazing.
For better tonal / dynamic range.
You’ll learn where the craft came from.
You'll be a part of an experience few people understand.
It's fun.
Analog lasts longer (archivability).

Fred Kingston

Let me help you with your budget... ;)

You will need that light meter... just cuz'
You'll need a scanner... think $300-400+ at minimum to get the resolution you'll need
If you don't plan on developing, then film availability is limited to C-41 and drug stores...
You'll need all new lenses (with aperture rings)

I love my F4s...

Scott Murray

Let me help you with your budget... ;)

You will need that light meter... just cuz'
You'll need a scanner... think $300-400+ at minimum to get the resolution you'll need
If you don't plan on developing, then film availability is limited to C-41 and drug stores...
You'll need all new lenses (with aperture rings)

I love my F4s...
My 14/50/85 all have aperture rings :)

I have a scanner :)

I have ordered Kodak ektar 100 film x 5

We still have photo labs in Australia that develop film here :)

480sparky

Do local labs process b&w? Many here don't. If they do, ask for develop only, no prints if you don't want to pay for 4x5 prints.

Developing your own b&w is easy and will cost around $150AU to get started.

Scott Murray

Do local labs process b&w? Many here don't. If they do, ask for develop only, no prints if you don't want to pay for 4x5 prints.

Developing your own b&w is easy and will cost around $150AU to get started.
I am unsure if they do B&W, I am trying out some colour film first :) then B&W

480sparky

I am unsure if they do B&W, I am trying out some colour film first :) then B&W

Ask about b&w while you're there.

And be sure to check out their policy of what happens to your negatives. Some labs here in the States will ship your film off-site to be developed, where they then scan it and email the files to the local store for printing. By the time you go in to pick up your (low-resolution) images, the negatives have been destroyed.

Scott Murray

Ask about b&w while you're there.

And be sure to check out their policy of what happens to your negatives. Some labs here in the States will ship your film off-site to be developed, where they then scan it and email the files to the local store for printing. By the time you go in to pick up your (low-resolution) images, the negatives have been destroyed.
Normally they give you back the negatives, I will definitely be asking for them back. I will also be asking for Hi-res images.

480sparky

Normally they give you back the negatives, I will definitely be asking for them back. I will also be asking for Hi-res images.

Asking may not be enough. If their policy is to destroy them, then they will be destroyed. You need to read their terms.

And some labs think 1200-pixels-on-the-long-end is 'high res'. I'd rather scan them myself and get 10,000 x 6,700 pixels.

Ruidoso Bill

Scott, I agree with you and have found myself looking at used Maiyaflex medium format. I had one back around 1970 and have never enjoyed shooting with anything since, don't misunderstand, my nikons are great but just tools. I would not use it for work but boy' s need to have a little fun once in a while!

Next will be a Bogan enlarger lol

Last edited:

Scott Murray

Look what arrived today, they included 4 x rolls B&W film aswell which was a nice surprise.

20150511-20150511-SHM_9532.jpg

20150511-20150511-SHM_9533.jpg

20150511-20150511-SHM_9534.jpg

20150511-20150511-SHM_9535.jpg

20150511-20150511-SHM_9536.jpg