Another local shop closes

Rick M

Five years ago we had 4 local camera shops in my area. We are now down to 2 that are about 20% photography and the rest is electronics/appliances to stay alive. Too bad to see the camera era come to a close at the local retailer level :(.

Bill16

I've wondered if there was a local camera shop here, but so far all I know of selling Nikon's is wal-mart. And I never look for camera gear whenever I go there! As far as camera shops go it is likely just my poor abilities in searching, but I doubt there are many camera shops around here, if at all! Even the pawn shop I know of doesn't sell anything in store, but puts everything up for auctions at a local auction house and maybe on eBay too!

Nope, buying online is the direction things are going more and more, unless it's some big store chains like wal-mart!

wev

Contributor
We have, in North Orange County (pop around 1.25 million), one dedicated photo shop, but they only do Canon, outside bags and such. The local Best Buys keep nothing in stock and I can get it faster shipped from B & H then by their inner-store transfer.

Rick M

Yea, B&H has become my primary source since it's at my door in 1 or 2 days tops. It's too bad because I like to support the local "little guy", even if it costs a couple bucks more.

Krs_2007

I'm with you, but the local shops can't keep up with pricing due to lack of volume. I always try to spread out the funds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ironwood

The city near where I live has one dedicated camera shop and three large electronics chain stores that also sell cameras.
I try to support the camera shop as much as I can, but they struggle to compete on prices. They can't match prices on Nikon gear, but I just bought my Tamron 150-600 from them, it was on special for $1100 Aust. with $100 cashback, this would work out at about 800 US$, I don't think I have seen it that low anywhere else.
I usually buy my bags and filters and smaller ticket stuff off them, but I feel bad haggling prices on cameras and lenses with them.

donaldjledet

Well in New Orleans there are a number of shops. but i would stay away from the ones along Canal st.
The two best where most of locals go are just a few blocks apart in Metairie,La. Across the street from Lakeside Mall.

RocketCowboy

I'm with you, but the local shops can't keep up with pricing due to lack of volume. I always try to spread out the funds.

Competitive Camera here in DFW has usually been a couple dollars cheaper than the online guys. The only time I've found that not to be the case was when looking at the Nikon 105mm/2.8 VR macro lens, but that pricing wasn't consistent across B&H and Adorama at that time either, so something was up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RocketCowboy

Well in New Orleans there are a number of shops. but i would stay away from the ones along Canal st.
The two best where most of locals go are just a few blocks apart in Metairie,La. Across the street from Lakeside Mall.

What's the name of the Metairie shops? I need a place to go when in town visiting my in-laws. My MIL lives just down from Lakeside off Severn. I'm usually in that area when in town for work too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jay_dean

There's a couple of independent camera shops in the city. One operates internet trade and seems to do very well, and the other does a lot of printing. I guess it shows that its essential not to be a just bricks and mortar, passing trade camera shop

carguy

My local stores have the same prices as the online retailers/stores. Price is controlled by the manuf in most cases.

I try to support them whenever possible, even when it means paying local sales tax. Having them there and available to chat and ask questions is very valuable, not to mention keeping the money in my local economy.