How about 10,000 ISO? :)

Woodyg3

Contributor
Here's a 50% crop with no PP besides Lightroom RAW conversion. It was dark enough in the hollow of the tree that I couldn't really see the baby owl with my eyes. The camera snapped into focus just fine. Plenty of noise, but what do you expect at 10,000? :)

SOOC100Owl10,000-5.jpg

Last edited:

wev

Contributor
How did you focus? I have tried similar shots, but the auto just gives up and I can't see what I am trying to manual on

Bourbon Neat

That must be a shot with your new D7200 body, yes? What do you think so far? The exif shows CORPORATION as model.

Here's a 50% crop with no PP besides Lightroom RAW conversion. It was dark enough in the hallow of the tree that I couldn't really see the baby owl with my eyes. The camera snapped into focus just fine. Plenty of noise, but what do you expect at 10,000? :)

Woodyg3

Contributor
How did you focus? I have tried similar shots, but the auto just gives up and I can't see what I am trying to manual on

Completely autofocus. The new D7200 autofocus module can really focus in very dark situations. With my eyes I could make out two yellow eyes, but I couldn't really see the body. There would be no way I could have manually focused.

Woodyg3

Contributor
That must be a shot with your new D7200 body, yes? What do you think so far? The exif shows CORPORATION as model.

Yep, D7200. The new version of Lightroom seems to have some sort of bug so that the model name of the camera doesn't show up properly on our web site here.

I've gone out to shoot only once with the camera. It was dark overcast as the sun was setting. The camera performed quite well.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Your just trying to spend my money :D

I'm sure I would greatly enjoy spending your money! :)

I'll have to shoot a lot more before I can really be sure, but it looks like the D7200 can focus quite well in low light, and that might help with your overcast skies when shooting birds, Mike. I haven't tried BIF shots yet. So far I have not had any problems with the Tamzooka focusing on it, but I'll have to shoot many more hours before I can say anything with certainty.

I need a lot more real life shooting before I can form a complete opinion, but so far I think the D7200 really is an upgrade over the D7100 in terms of low light performance.

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

I'll have to shoot a lot more before I can really be sure, but it looks like the D7200 can focus quite well with low light, and that might help with your overcast skies when shooting birds, Mike. So far I have not had any problems with the Tamzooka focusing on it, but I'll have to shoot many more hours before I can say anything with certainty.

Thanks,with your gear and subject interests i will be watching.

Danno

That is a good shot. I have not tried anything that high. I have held to 6400, but I am really impressed with the ability to focus in low light and how clean the pictures are. I am really pleased with the 7200... That owl is amazing @Woodyg3