Quick 1600 ISO samples

Woodyg3

Contributor
This is just one example and NOT scientific or meant to be in ANY WAY be something people should make a complete judgement of the D7200's low light performance. I've only taken a very few shots with my new D7200, and I don't have the same shots taken with my D7100 for comparison. I just thought I'd show a 100% crop in low light taken at 1600 ISO. The first is SOOC with no adjustments other than Lightroom's RAW conversion. The second is with a little editing and slight noise reduction.

The lens was a Tamron 150-600 at 500mm.

I can tell you that the D7200 has focused very quickly and accurately in low light. I took owl pictures in near darkness at 10,000 ISO and the camera focused accurately and quickly. I'll post more later.

SOOC100Owl1600-3.jpg
SOOC 100% crop

SOOC100Owl1600-4.jpg
With minimal exposure, sharpening and noise editing.

Last edited:

J-see

Did you try taking a shot at ISO 1600 using a certain A/S and then take the same shot at those settings but without ISO?

From what I read the D7200 flatlines when it comes to shadow recovery (which is a good thing). It implies ISO only serves a purpose to "correctly" expose the shot. I'm quite curious what the result would be if you'd do that in post.

Maybe the D7200 is the first ISOless cam. It also could provide an option to get around the red detail issue at higher ISO.

Last edited: