Focus stacking?

Elliot87

I've heard about focus stacking but have never looked into how you go about it, ie. what software you may need etc.

My question is can the following two images be photo stacked. They were taken handheld and rushed as a neighbour was approaching so I knew I'd have to stop and say hello, hence the composition is not matched up and I didn't get to take more shots with better focus etc.

DSC_0642.jpg

DSC_0643.jpg

I've not edited these shots, just imported the RAW files to PhotoDirector 6 and then exported them as JPEG's.

Any help or advice on what I could do with them is welcome. If it is possible to focus stack them and you want to go ahead and do it to show me I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Elliot87

If the only difference between the two is the framing, a stack should be possible. It will just result in a very tight crop.

Having thought more about it I'm not sure it will be possible as the difference in focus is due to a change in the distance between the subject and camera. I don't know what margin for error there is having never even thought about attempting it before.

Elliot87

Cheers, I appreciate there's not much difference between the two so won't be a big effect but good to know its something I can look at doing. I'm trialling different software at the moment, one free month at a time. Not sure PhotoDirector has a function for this, I haven't found one.