Tried one last night, consistent mis-focusing with MY glass.

SkvLTD

Both 70-200 I and 24-85 were misfocusing until I dialed about +5 into AF tune. Was never the case on my 600, so that really made me wonder what happened exactly. And fine tune was OFF initially, so it wasn't some active preset messing me up. Also only used single point AF on static subjects. My friend's glass works just fine on it.

Geoffc

Nothing strange about that, it's pot luck if the tolerance of the lens and body happen to match. I've hardly ever had a pair match perfectly over 15 lenses and 7 bodies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bill16

I have to admit I've never really tested my lenses on my Nikon's. So I suppose my shots could improve quite a bit if I did fine tune my camera bodies to my lenses. I'm just a bit afraid of messing something up and end up making things much worse.
Besides I heard I needed a special focus sheet to use to focus on, at different distances for different lenses.
But I suppose I had better figure it out and get my cameras and lenses fine tuned someday. :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Thank you my friend! Though I'll still need to buy a focus chart, since I have no printer. But once I get one, this video will be a big help for sure! :)

You could download the chart and take it to wherever they offer printing services, too. Flash drive or CD should hold it. Much cheaper than buying a printer. ;)

Horoscope Fish

I've typically used a ruler, yardstick or tape measure for this. I set one up at a 45 degree angle to the camera and focus on a convenient number, say it's 30. After I take the shot I look to see if the number I focused on is in proper focus. If 33 or 27 is sharper than 30, I make adjustments until I'm happy with the result. It may not be as accurate as some of the other more expensive methods but it certainly works well enough in my experience. You could also Google "Dot Tune"; another free method that works well.

Bill16

Cool! That sounds like it will work good enough for me too! Thanks buddy! :)

I've typically used a ruler, yardstick or tape measure for this. I set one up at a 45 degree angle to the camera and focus on a convenient number, say it's 30. After I take the shot I look to see if the number I focused on is in proper focus. If 33 or 27 is sharper than 30, I make adjustments until I'm happy with the result. It may not be as accurate as some of the other more expensive methods but it certainly works well enough in my experience. You could also Google "Dot Tune"; another free method that works well.

SkvLTD

Interesting. Just never figured there would be much of a deviation like what I've encountered, especially out in the field. Not a very pleasant feeling when borrowing a body and using own glass of better build if not on par with offered.

Horoscope Fish

I find doing lens calibration tedious but almost all of the lenses I've owned have benefited from doing it. In my experience, taking the time to calibrate you lenses is definitely time well spent.

RocketCowboy

I tried all the free methods but my eyes just could not see the difference good enough so I went with the computer assisted method

FoCal Pro - Reikan FoCal Automatic Lens Calibration SoftwareReikan FoCal Automatic Lens Calibration Software

It was really worth the money. My lenses are sharp as tacks. Also a good side benefit is a different test will show you the sharpest aperture of each lens. Gives great reports.

Don, are you using Focal on Mac or Windows? I've been running under Mac, but find if I repeatedly fine tune a lens I'll get different settings each time which has me a little worried.

Don, are you using Focal on Mac or Windows? I've been running under Mac, but find if I repeatedly fine tune a lens I'll get different settings each time which has me a little worried.

Windows. I think the most important thing about focal is to have good consultant light. Also there is a set distance they suggest. I think it 50 time the focal length. I have rerun mine recently after getting my fantastic 35mm and all my other lenses were right where I left them.