Windy Day Macro Video

Elliot87

Any tips for how you coped with the wind? I'm guessing they were taken using your new flash diffuser set up at something like 1/250? Is it best to set up on a tripod and shoot a burst of frames and just put up with a higher miss rate on windy days?
Thanks

Scott Murray

Any tips for how you coped with the wind? I'm guessing they were taken using your new flash diffuser set up at something like 1/250? Is it best to set up on a tripod and shoot a burst of frames and just put up with a higher miss rate on windy days?
Thanks
Hey yes I used around 1/200sec, with flash it was a single shot. I just waited until I could see the Dragonfly come into focus and press the shutter. I did miss it a few times but managed some shots. This was handheld as usual out of 17 shots I got 5 keepers from this one Dragonfly, I lost more getting into position and not scaring it than with the wind.

SkvLTD

How you and others manage not to scare these things being THAT close, is almost beyond me..... Back when I was plinking around with 70-300 @ 300, coupled w/ crop factor, it got me reasonably close while being far enough.

Elliot87

How you and others manage not to scare these things being THAT close, is almost beyond me..... Back when I was plinking around with 70-300 @ 300, coupled w/ crop factor, it got me reasonably close while being far enough.

Patience, determination and very slow movement are what its about. More often than not they'll fly off but you've just got to keep trying and you'll eventually find a dragonfly, butterfly or whatever that will just stay put for you. If you get out early when its still cool they are usually less active and let you get closer.
For me the hard part is capturing the image once I get there!
When I was using a bridge camera that focused down to 1cm from the lens I'd end up bumping it into bugs or just blocking all my light.

SkvLTD

Patience, determination and very slow movement are what its about. More often than not they'll fly off but you've just got to keep trying and you'll eventually find a dragonfly, butterfly or whatever that will just stay put for you. If you get out early when its still cool they are usually less active and let you get closer.
For me the hard part is capturing the image once I get there!
When I was using a bridge camera that focused down to 1cm from the lens I'd end up bumping it into bugs or just blocking all my light.

Early mornings indeed, but its much harder to spot their sleeping spots than when they're baking in the sun. I guess once our weather gets up to par I'll have me a go at it once again.

Elliot87

Early mornings indeed, but its much harder to spot their sleeping spots than when they're baking in the sun. I guess once our weather gets up to par I'll have me a go at it once again.

I'm really looking forward to getting out more this summer. Its the first year where I have a DSLR and macro lens so might actually be able to get the shots I've been trying for and failing to get for years. Now I've got better equipment I bet I'll find my bug hunting skills will fail me.
I optimistically went out before sunrise on Sunday but it was 1 degree C and not an invertebrate in sight. Retreated to a slightly less cold bird hide and spotted all sorts, highlight being a kingfisher but didn't get any good captures as the sun doesn't get to that area until nearer noon and most stuff was too far anyway.

Scott Murray

I placed my finger within a mm of one before it flew off ;)

Bill16

Very good example buddy! You have a very steady hand and good timing! Lol :)
Thank you very much for the tips Scott buddy! :)

SkvLTD

Tammy TC 2x is starting to look tempting though. Not a terrible price, and supports AF-D, and I bet its quite better than Kenko 300 Pro, right?

SkvLTD

Only choices besides budget is that or Kenko. Dunno why Nikon chose to omit screw-AF extension, but I'd probably use a TC equally as much for macro as for 70-200, so AF-S only or screw-only don't really cut it.

RocketCowboy

Tammy TC 2x is starting to look tempting though. Not a terrible price, and supports AF-D, and I bet its quite better than Kenko 300 Pro, right?

Just picked up a Kenko 300 Pro, but only the 1.4. Will be a few days before I can test, but will post a few test images when I do test.

SkvLTD

Just picked up a Kenko 300 Pro, but only the 1.4. Will be a few days before I can test, but will post a few test images when I do test.

Just post your general impression. If its plausible by stopping down some, that's all I'd need mine to do and then shaving an extra-$100 never hurts in beer acquisition to survive all the testing and trials.

Moab Man

Truth is that Scott has the insect world trained. He is some kind of insect master.

Or maybe that everything in Australia can kill you and they are actually waiting around because Scott doesn't know he is the prey.