Nikon d3300 with 18-55mm VR II lens for nightclub photography ??

Marios

Hello guys, i just joined this forum,

Ok, so I decided to buy Nikon d3300 with 18-55 VR II lens. I am making my first steps in photography and through some research I made I found out that this Nikon series is brilliant for any new/amateur photographer. Since it fits my budget I want to give it try and buy the latest model of this series. But I can't find anywhere if it's good for nightclub photography, and if it is, on what scale from 1 to 10?? A good friend of mine owns a nightclub so i am allowed to take the camera with me. I know that nightclub photography is tough and needs some experience but i would like to know about this model and if i will need a flashgun. Thanks.

SteveH

Firstly, welcome to the forum!
The D3300 is a very good camera, however nightclub photography is fairly extreme... There is very little light and that is where the 18-55mm will struggle, leaving you using high, noisy ISO settings. Something like the 35mm f1.8 would be a huge bonus, but I don't know if flash is a good idea - You will be close to the clubbers and may well just get very white faces!

RocketCowboy

Howdy and welcome to Nikonites!

SteveH has pretty well answered your question with the things to look out for. Using a faster prime lens (like the 35mm/f1.8) helps get more light into the camera, as would flash if that is an option. Assuming cost is a factor (since it always is), and you may want to try and rent a D3300 and lens first to verify whether it will get you the images you are after.