Has anyone here own the D700 and the D610..

Blacktop

(Also posted in the D600/610 forum)

..or have owned both at different times?
I have been comparing these two cams online and read a million reviews on both until the cows came home.

I still can't seem to make up my mind. Although the 610 is much newer tech and of course twice the resolution, I just keep reading reviews about the D700 colors. It gets high praises on many websites and by many reviewers.

If anyone here has owned both cameras, please tell me the difference in the color rendering between these two cams, and is it really THAT different.

Also the ISO performance seems to be pretty equal up to 3200 ISO on both cams, (according to Photographylife)but the D610 has a better dynamic range.
Feel wise I hear the 700 is close to the D300, which I love.

Also love the button layout of the D300 which is basically the same on the D700.

If I do get either one of these cams I would still keep my 7100 as well. I would mostly be doing landscapes with the FF and would also need the low light capability for indoor shots, if I ever lose my mind and do another wedding.;)

I would appreciate feedback on just these two cams. Not interested in a 750 or a 8XX or a D4s. Just these two right here.
Thank you.

Last edited:

jay_dean

Not owned a D610, but if you love the D300, its a nailed on guarantee that you'll love the D700. I did. But i don't think you'd go far wrong with either really

cadomniel

For landscapes D610 I think would be the better choice for the increased resolution and dynamic range.

I have only had my D700 a week now but I have noticed it has very good color accuracy and saturation, and it produces a very different' file to the D7100

Blacktop

For landscapes D610 I think would be the better choice for the increased resolution and dynamic range.

I have only had my D700 a week now but I have noticed it has very good color accuracy and saturation, and it produces a very different' file to the D7100

Thank you. Noticed the DF in your arsenal of cameras. Very nice.

cadomniel

I wanted a second full frame camera and was deciding between D610 and D700. Didn't want to take any risk or deal with hassle of getting shutter replaced with D600. I chose D700 because I wanted to try a 'pro' body and it gave me faster frame rate which is something I didn't have with the other cameras.

Its great to have choices....

Bill16

I love my D700, and I've never tried the D610. But after looking at the comparisons I can see the D610 has some clear advantages, some that don't mean much if you don't shoot video, if your not buying new and such! But the MPs and dynamic range are some real perks to buying the D610 when talking landscapes! But D700's build quality,feel,51 focus points and 15 cross focus points can be a real plus too if you ever do more weddings for example! Lol :)

But if you are loving your D7100 then I think you would likely love the D610 in a similar way! The D610 should be a great combo with the D7100! :)

cadomniel

Well I just sold the D700 so just had it to test it out for a month really. I think the D700 has the best feel and ergonomics of any of the Nikon's I've tried and to me it even feels better in hand than D800. I haven't tried D810 yet though :p
I think D610 may be a bit better for me, since I'm used to the same controls on my D7100 and shared memory cards and batteries.

Plus higher resolution and DR.

Just-Clayton

I have had the 610 for over a year. I also have the 300s. Lately the 300 has sat in the corner. The 610 dynamic range is great and I mostly do 2 layer hdr with it quality of picture is great..

johncook

have you tried out the D700 and D610?

go to a camera store and take a few memory cards, shoot some RAW files on each pushing the camera to the limits with ISO then examine the files at your leisure at home.

I did this with the Df one day when I had an hour to kill in the city and was massively impressed with the camera and ISO.

If you're going to consider spending money on either, I'd personally give each a good test first. camera store should let you.