D5300 . GPS and WiFi questions

Hayder

Hi:
Most the time I use my iPhone 6 Plus to take pictures and upload them to Facebook or Google Earth, and want to improve my pictures using either D3300 or D5300. I love to see GPS inside D5300 and WiFi, and I'd like to ask these questions:
- I read that the GPS is less than useless! so whats your experience with it?
- the transfer images to iPhone with meta data or not? in case that I use external GPS.
- What is the best solution, using geotag app in my iphone or use external GPS?
Because if the GPS is bad and can't transfer images with meta data I will buy D3300 instead
thanks for your help.

Last edited:

dennybeall

The GPS in mine works OK outside with a clear sky view but does take a while to find enough satellites. Once it's got a lock it puts the location on each photo.

azccj

I have the D5300. If you download a gps update file from this Nikon website, Nikon | Download center | A-GPS Update File to the camera then the camera's GPS will quickly determine it's location in 15-30 seconds. Without this GPS file it can take many minutes before the camera will discover where it's at in the world. This file needs to be updated every 14 days or so to make the GPS work better. I've never used the WIFI so I don't know about how well it works.

Last edited:

RocketCowboy

I have the D5300. If you download a gps update file from this Nikon website, Nikon | Download center | A-GPS Update File to the camera then the camera's GPS will quickly determine it's location in 15-30 seconds. Without this GPS file it can take many minutes before the camera will discover where it's at in the world. This file needs to be updated every 14 days or so to make the GPS work better. I've never used the WIFI so I don't know about how well it works.

Curious, do you update the GPS file every 14 days?

I've only updated it once, many months ago, and it still seems to acquire a signal much faster than it originally did. I probably should pull down another update before our vacation next month just to be safe, but it seems like any updates calibration seems to help it out quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk