Upgrading from D3200

das1000

I am looking t upgrade from D3200 as I want to take my photography journey forward to a more professional footing. I know I want to stay with my beloved Nikon but not sure which model to go for. I am keen on the d700 as don't mind buying second hand but I have some lenses I bought for my D3200 and not sure if they would work with the D700 or if I would need to buy all new lenses as well? Any advice greatly appreciated!:adoration:

RON_RIP

If you post your lenses we will have a better opportunity to advise you. But, for openers you need a nifty 50. Your other lens needs are going to depend on what you most like to shoot.

das1000

oops that was a typo it should have read lens. I bought a prime 50mm f1.8 lens and obviously the standard kit lens that was additional when buying the D3200.

Horoscope Fish

oops that was a typo it should have read lens. I bought a prime 50mm f1.8 lens and obviously the standard kit lens that was additional when buying the D3200.
If you mean thE 50mm f/1.8G AF-S then yes, that's an FX lens that would work fine on a full-frame body. The 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 would not really work on a full frame body. You *can* shoot DX glass on an FX body body but you have to do it in "DX Crop Mode" and generally speaking, that sucks. As someone who recently went from DX to FX let me assure you, you're going to want FX glass for your FX body just as soon as you can get it. That being said, I love shooting with a 50mm on my D750 so that one lens might hold you over pretty well.

das1000

Thanks that is really useful to know. In terms of upgrading do you think the d700 is a good option or do you have any suggestions on what I could look at to consider?

Horoscope Fish

Thanks that is really useful to know. In terms of upgrading do you think the d700 is a good option or do you have any suggestions on what I could look at to consider?
Well, what sort of photography do you do/want to do and what is your budget for this upgrade? Also, is there anything drawing you to the D700, in particular and if so, what is it?

The D700 is a very capable camera, no doubt about that. I'm just trying to determine if there are other options you might want to consider based on what you want to do and what you can spend.

das1000

I am wanting to upgrade as I would really like to develop my photography into some type of career and am looking to go back to studying to achieve this. I enjoy portraits, still life compositions and street photography. I was advised that a full frame camera would be a great invest and really help with composition and framing etc. In terms of budget, I don't have a clear one in mind and can save towards my preferred option over the next few months. It is just that I am unsure as to what model I should be striving for. My brother has a D800 which I have used but found this incredibly heavy.

Horoscope Fish

I am wanting to upgrade as I would really like to develop my photography into some type of career and am looking to go back to studying to achieve this. I enjoy portraits, still life compositions and street photography. I was advised that a full frame camera would be a great invest and really help with composition and framing etc. In terms of budget, I don't have a clear one in mind and can save towards my preferred option over the next few months. It is just that I am unsure as to what model I should be striving for. My brother has a D800 which I have used but found this incredibly heavy.
I would tell you to consider either the D750 or the D610 (in that order) over the D700, personally. The D750 is, right now, probably the best general purpose DSLR available. The D700 is very capable, the D750 and the D610 are just far MORE capable. Any of the three, though, would serve you well.