Shooting a concert with a D750 at ISO 100

carguy

Guy posted this to a facebook group this weekend. Looks like another plus for the D750!

48827d9ab5caf28738ae5959b5410b06.jpg

Photos: Between The Buried And Me @ Old National Centre — Indy 2015 | concART | The Art Of Live

rocketman122

website loaded partly for me and I give a 5 second mercy wait before closing.

we all know he didnt shoot all his pics this way. just some to show what the camera can do. its a very capable camera.

J-see

He could shoot anything at 100 ISO with the D750 and it would at worst be as good as shooting with ISO. It's strange they even use ISO during concerts since it's all about light and that's the first thing ISO affects.

We're around the time that ISO will become a post-feature. The D7200 already has zero shadow improvement throughout the ISO range which implies there's only a price to pay with zero gain. I don't know how clean the cam amplifies but if it's worse than doing it in post, it's the first generation cam that could do without ISO.

Too bad the D750 isn't quite there yet. The loss in shadows when not using ISO is marginal however but it's loss nonetheless.

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

Yes he has done it and it worked for a concert i guess but ime not that impressed with the final results,the work and understanding needed to go totally with ISO 100 and work the rest from the PP is not IMO worth it,j-see gets good results but no better than others on here with the tried and tested system.

J-see

Yes he has done it and it worked for a concert i guess but ime not that impressed with the final results,the work and understanding needed to go totally with ISO 100 and work the rest from the PP is not IMO worth it,j-see gets good results but no better than others on here with the tried and tested system.

It's hard to compare that Mike. I can compare my ISO vs my non-ISO but not vs yours since there are too many "unknown" factors in such a comparison. And we're showing JPEGs here while the actual advantage is in the RAW. About any cam will have enough quality left at high ISO to make it into a 8-bit shot.

Just give it some time and it'll be an as common (or uncommon) technique to shoot as ETTR.

It's not about my shot vs anyone else's but about my shot vs my shot. It's exactly identical as ETTR. Will I end up with a better RAW when I ETTR vs normally exposing? If the answer is yes, I don't do myself any favor by not using ETTR. The same is true for ISO. Will I end up with a better RAW when using ISO vs native ISO only? The answer to that defines the value of the technique.

For me on the D750 I have more benefits not using ISO. On the D810 this far I only tested up to 3-4 stops and the same is true there. Higher I don't know yet but I normally switch to the D750 for that sort of performance. The D750 does better there than the D810.

In the end it's about how much quality one is satisfied with. You can take good shots at every setting but better at certain. Some people are satisfied with good, some prefer better and then there are those that always want more than possible.

I suspect those satisfied with good enjoy photography most.

Last edited:

Blacktop

Not sure if there is an insult in there or not :Dbut ime not going to think it out.
I didn't read any hidden insilts in there Mike. I haven't seen [MENTION=31330]J-see[/MENTION] do that to anyone unless really pushed into it. Usually he is on the receiving end.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

kevy73

I actually shot a series of portraits with this technique after reading your posts and then again with my usual technique to make sure in case things went wrong...

Images from this method were awesome - as were my usual - the only downside to this method is that you can't chimp on your camera to see if you are nailing focus... otherwise it is a very valid method of not blowing highlights...

Is this the right moment for a "told you so"? ;)

J-see

I actually shot a series of portraits with this technique after reading your posts and then again with my usual technique to make sure in case things went wrong...

Images from this method were awesome - as were my usual - the only downside to this method is that you can't chimp on your camera to see if you are nailing focus... otherwise it is a very valid method of not blowing highlights...

That's one major advantage; you never blow the highlights. I find the highlights critical in many of my shots since a lot of detail is composed out of highlights and by not using ISO, I not only preserve those, I also avoid squeezing them together.

You're right about not being able to check what you're doing. It's a disadvantage but then again, that's how we did it in the film days.

I haven't tested it yet but I think ISOless will work nice for concerts where light constantly fluctuates and differs in intensity. By setting shutter and aperture to the optimal required for a shot, (and in that truly exposing to the right) you ensure that whatever the lighting will be, it'll close to never blow out. In post you can readjust the individual levels to your preferences.

Last edited:

J-see

I hope your not leaving,

I'm going to be a roadrat Mike; on the move to anywhere the wind blows. The only connection I'll have to the internet is when I'm somewhere civilized and able to hijack a signal.

The exact date I leave isn't set yet but it's between tomorrow and the last week of August. It's then my rent ends.

mikew_RIP

I'm going to be a roadrat Mike; on the move to anywhere the wind blows. The only connection I'll have to the internet is when I'm somewhere civilized and able to hijack a signal.

The exact date I leave isn't set yet but it's between tomorrow and the last week of August. It's then my rent ends.

So will we see a new thread some thing like "where the road leads me" you can always post a week after you have moved on if you dont want the authority's to find you:D

Hope you have a great time.