Upgrading

bikeit

I am considering upgrading from the D5300 to the D7100 so what are the advantages, and will my current lenses work without any issues?

Horoscope Fish

I am considering upgrading from the D5300 to the D7100 so what are the advantages, and will my current lenses work without any issues?
My girlfriend shoots with a D5300 and I shot with, and still have, a D7100. The only real advantage I can see with the D7100 would be the additional external-controls, the weather sealing, the auto-focus motor and the additional focus-points. Those features make it worthy of the price it commands, no question about that, and those features are some very nice things to have; but that's the big difference: Features.

I've seen a LOT of images, side-by-side, from both cameras using the same cadre of lenses and under what amounts to identical circumstances. All that being said, I'm not convinced the D5300 doesn't produce ever so slightly better images. That's a very subjective thing, but my over-arching point, really, is that if you're thinking there's going to be a big jump in IQ between the two, I can tell you there's not.

As for your lenses, if they worked on your D5300, they'll work on the D7100.

omgboost

Which one weighs more? I have the old nikon d3000 and am looking to upgrade to either the d5300 or d71/200.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

richichi

before upgrading bikeit ask yourself what can't I do with my current camera that I would like it to do, what images can't I take that I would like to, I found that asking myself these questions the best thing to do for me was to upgrade my glass rather than body, just my 2 cents good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bikeit

Guys i like the button lay out of the D7100 and the two control wheels to control shutter and aperture, what does "not a definite increase in IQ with that upgrade" mean?

RocketCowboy

In addition to what @richichi said, when I started itching to upgrade I kept a list of the exact feature differences that would help me out. I built out the "nice to haves" that the D7100 had over my current camera, and when I saw enough difference made the move.

Since you're looking at a couple different camera bodies, that list might also help you narrow which body fits your needs best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RocketCowboy

Right on. So yes, any lens that works on the D5300 will work on the D7100. The D7100 will also open up lens options that aren't available on the D5300 ... because of the built-in AF motor.

Here were my notes from when I was debating moving from the D5300 to the D7100:

Max flash sync speed: 1/200 vs 1/250
Auto focus: reg AF-S lens vs AF-D and AF-S
Build: not weather sealed vs weather sealed
Max shutter speed: 1/4000 vs 1/8000
Autofocus points: 39 vs 51
Flash Modes: No HSS vs HSS/AFP
CLS Support: no vs yes

RocketCowboy

Are you glad you made the switch?

More than happy.

The D5300 is no slouch of a camera, but for me ... the reasons I went with the D5300 over the D7100 initially (GPS and Wifi) didn't pan out to be the strengths that I thought they would be.

The biggest benefit for me has been the Nikon CLS support on the D7100. Second to that, the ability to use older AF lenses other than just the AF-S. Since I started migrating away from DX only lenses, this gives me flexibility to use some older but quality lenses that the D5300 wouldn't be able to AF with ... specifically my 20mm f/2.8. Third, the weather sealing ... since I take this camera when traveling on vacation, helps avoid some worrying. The max shutter speed and max flash speed are minor things, but have also helped when I find myself paying attention to the wrong settings (i.e. aperture and/or ISO) and let the shutter speed wander.

All that said, I did not use the articulating screen on the D5300, so that was not a benefit that I felt I lost. And like I said, I found the built-in wifi and GPS to be intermittent at best, so those did not play into my decision to trade. Lastly, I got the D7100 on refurb, so the price was right. We still have the D5300, my wife uses it primarily, but the D7100 is my goto camera.

Hope that helps.

mikew_RIP

Be careful with refurbs,in the uk a few sellers word the adds so you think its a Nikon refurb,the genuine ones from the uk carry a 6 month Nikon warranty,there are i think two Ebay sellers that have shops and i think they offer the Nikon 6 months then 6 months of there own,one good shop for secondhand is WEX they offer the above on a refurb and 12 months on secondhand.