Need recomendation for D7000 lens..

Jughead28

I was recently given a D7000 with these lenses: 18-55mm VR, 35 mm prime 1.8/f, 55-300mm VR lens.... I started checking out night photography which I kind of love but I am a newbie to this .. So which of these lenses are better to take photo's at night?(i.e moon, buildings and so on). I recently just bought a tripod and a remote but at current moment I can't afford to buy a lens yet. Thank you for any suggestions that are given..

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Neede recomendation for D7000 lens..

To shoot the moon you will need the long lens (55-300), tripod and practice. The 35MM prime1.8 will be great for buildings. Play with what you have. Practice till you get it right. Have fun now, NAS will come soon enough.

AxeMan - Rick S.

In my opinion it's not all about the gear / lens. It comes down to aperture and exposure time. A few years back I was taking lightning photos and night shots with a Kodak EZ share, yeah my Nikon does produce a better quality night shot, but I still had keeper photos with a point and shoot camera.

Best advice I can give is going out and play with your camera and your settings at night. I live out in the country so it's not uncommon for me to use a lower f/stop of 5.6 or under, but if I'm shooting in the city I might be shooting at f/22. It all depends on how much or how little light you have to work with.

If you're trying to photograph the moon, treat it as a daylight shot and not a night shot. How soon we forget the moon is being lit up by the sun, even though our surroundings are dark.

If your night photos have a red cast to them, then you're over exposed at the aperture setting. Use a smaller aperture or use less of an exposure time.

That's my 2-cents worth.

Jughead28

Thank you guys for the help... Right now I am waiting for the tripod.. should be arriving soon.. The consensus so far that I got and by reading about night photography is usually the setting was between F/8-F/11 with a 20-30 sec and iso 100-200 with Vr off on tripod. But I am guessing it all depends on how much light you have like axeman said... Again I will try this setting and let you guys know... Thank you again

Browncoat

You need a decent lens to photograph the moon. Ideally, you want to keep the shutter open for as short a duration as possible, while still being able to get down to ISO 200. You would be surprised how far across the sky the moon moves in 30 seconds, and if you keep a shutter open for that long, you're going to have a blurry moon.

Eye-level

Banned
Old school Noct Nikkor..best nighttime lens anyone ever made!

It will set you back about 3 or 4 grand though!

It is okay to dream! NAS is okay as long as your will is good! LOL

I wholeheartedly agree with the above statement and think it is first rate - use what you have...see what you can make with it...

Personally I have yet to make a decent shot of the moon and I promise you I have tried. I just don't have the focal length or the speed or the knowledge and experience...

Last edited:

TieuNgao

Here's my photo of the moon with D7000 and the kit lense DSC_0834AR.jpg

Curt

I was recently given a D7000 with these lenses: 18-55mm VR, 35 mm prime 1.8/f, 55-300mm VR lens.... I started checking out night photography which I kind of love but I am a newbie to this .. So which of these lenses are better to take photo's at night?(i.e moon, buildings and so on). I recently just bought a tripod and a remote but at current moment I can't afford to buy a lens yet. Thank you for any suggestions that are given..

All I can say is wow! you are lucky to have been given a D7000 and great lenses to boot...lol.
Enjoy. What a gift! Wish someone would give me something like that :).

nmjameswilson

I just bought these two ... thanks.

"David Busch's Nikon D7000 Guide to Digital SLR Photography"
David D. Busch; Paperback; $17.49

"Nikon D7000: From Snapshots to Great Shots"
John Batdorff; Paperback; $13.10