D5300 - shooting in RAW

RiverG

I am in a digital photography class and we are using Photoshop. For our final project we were told to shoot in RAW. I recently downloaded the photos and found that I cannot open them in Photoshop, photo gallery or photos. The only place I can open them is in the Nikon program ViewNX. I called Nikon support and the only thing she told me was that I would have to call Adobe support because it was third party. From what we can tell this is an issue with the D5300.

I downloaded the current version of the Camera Raw Plug in - DID NOT WORK. Does anyone have any suggestion short of converting them to jpeg in ViewNX. Please help the project is do in 2 weeks.

Horoscope Fish

What happens when you try to open a RAW file in Photoshop? Also, what version of Photoshop and Adobe Camera RAW are you running? The current version is 8.8 and that's what you'll need for D5300 support as I recall.

The only other thing I can think of would be you need to install the .NEF/RAW codec from Nikon.

Last edited:

J-see

Worst case scenario he can convert them to a TiFF in View and use those in PS. It doesn't make much difference when it comes to processing.

The PS version might be the problem in this case.

mikew_RIP

Welcome to the forum,how are you trying to get them into photo shop,are you right clicking in view and choosing open with and have you added photo shop to your open with choices.

canuck257

What happens when you try to open a RAW file in Photoshop? Also, what version of Photoshop and Adobe Camera RAW are you running? The current version is 8.8 and that's what you'll need for D5300 support as I recall.

The only other thing I can think of would be you need to install the .NEF/RAW codec from Nikon.

I installed this codec on my 5300. It made no difference, PSE 5 would not recognise my RAW files. It did change the file icon to a pretty blue badge though!

RocketCowboy

What version of Photoshop and ACR? I have no issues reading RAW from my D5300, but I'm also using a Mac in case that's part of the difference. (shouldn't be)

WayneF

I installed this codec on my 5300. It made no difference, PSE 5 would not recognise my RAW files. It did change the file icon to a pretty blue badge though!

What the Nikon Codex does is to allow Windows file boxes (Windows Explorer, and even Adobe file open boxes) to show thumbnails which are the actual scene itself.

The codex does not affect accessing the raw file data, it only shows thumbnails.