D750 Need help with something in viewfinder???

Jaysmark

I have a D750 and there is what looks like a small hair in my viewfinder. I have a new Tamron lens attached and it doesn't for the life of me appear to be anything on the lens. I have taken multiple test shots to see if I could replicate it in photo and I don't see a thing. Doesn't that rule out the sensor as well? Any help or suggestions as to where and what it might be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

480sparky

It's not on the sensor because you cannot see the sensor looking through the viewfinder. Most likely, it's on the focus screen. And if it's on the screen, there's no way it can show up in a photo.

You can clean it with an air blower or soft brush. DO NOT TOUCH the screen as it is very fragile.

Horoscope Fish

I have a D750 and there is what looks like a small hair in my viewfinder. I have a new Tamron lens attached and it doesn't for the life of me appear to be anything on the lens. I have taken multiple test shots to see if I could replicate it in photo and I don't see a thing. Doesn't that rule out the sensor as well? Any help or suggestions as to where and what it might be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Do you see this hair, or whatever it is, in the VF when you remove the lens?

Jaysmark

I do still see it without the lens. I am still sort of a newb so where exactly is the focus screen? Am I confusing the sensor with the focus screen being the first layer when looking into the camera with the lens removed. I am not touching anything so I don't make it worse. Thanks again for the help guys.

480sparky

If it's on the sensor, it will show up in images, but NOT in the viewfinder. And if it's in the VF, it will not show up on images. The two are mutually exclusive. The design of a DSLR dictates this.

The focus screen is a semi-transparent glass that's right above the mirror. Look straight into the cameras lens mount (with lens removed) and you'll see its reflection in the mirror.

Last edited:

Blacktop

Thanks so much. I will try an air blower on the focus screen.

Make sure it's not one of those canned air blowers. Use a Rocket Blower.

download.jpg

Last edited: