D810 locking up

Kayakgirl

I purchased the D810 a few months ago and this is the second time that it has locked up on me while shooting sports. The first time I took the lens off and put it back on and it worked fine. This time I was not so lucky. I removed the lens, replaced the lens, tried a different lens and took the battery out. None of the buttons or dials would respond. I tried it the next day and it now works fine. Has this happened to anyone else? Am I possibly hitting some button without realizing it?

jay_dean

Just a few suggestions. Is the battery okay? Is it a third party battery? Could it be a CF/SD card problem? Possibly Firmware?

J-see

I'll have to check mine to see if there's some button that could cause this but I doubt there is.

Are you sure it's not a maxed out buffer and you'll have to wait until there's room? I'd have to try mine to see what I can and can't do if it is filled.

Does it give an error message?

Last edited:

nickt

Try formatting the memory card in camera and try a different card too if you have one. Also observe the memory card access led on the back when this happens. If it is what Jay-see said, you should see some activity on that led. A bad memory card could tie things up too and that might also show activity on that light.

Kayakgirl

No it is not a third party battery. A friend suggested the CF card. He had a similar problem and removed the card and put it back in. That is the one thing that I did not try at the time. Not sure about the buffer being maxed out. Also not sure about the firmware. Plan on going to New Orleans and have a store look at it as that is the closest place. Thanks for the help.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
What kind of CF card are you using? Does it lock up if you use a known "good" SD or CF card? Older CF cards might bottle neck if their read and write speed does not meet the speed requirements of the 36mp camera but may work well with the D3s or D700.

J-see

The D810 doesn't do well with all CF cards but normally it works or it doesn't. If it's not compatible you get an error message the moment you insert it.