Self Portrait using my new set up

Scott Murray

Just experimenting with the flash stands and umbrellas that I got today.

Any thoughts / Suggestions?

20150413-20150413-SHM_7681.jpg

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Lighting has a really nice balance into it. A little tight on the top but it works. It looks like "that guy" is ready to do an emergency response to a resort or wildlife safari tour... ;)

Scott Murray

Lighting has a really nice balance into it. A little tight on the top but it works. It looks like "that guy" is ready to do an emergency response to a resort or wildlife safari tour... ;)
Thanks, yeah it was tight in the room I am using. Camera set up one wall and me standing at the other wall. This is actually a pull down blind behind me with a window. I had to get the framing tight and not cut too much of my head off using the 85mm. Could have went with the 50 but wanted to see if it would work.

Blade Canyon

On my monitor, it looks like you need a little more light on the face. The foul weather gear is bright, but the area around your eyes is too dark. Otherwise, everything looks very balanced and diffused with no distracting shadows.

Scott Murray

On my monitor, it looks like you need a little more light on the face. The foul weather gear is bright, but the area around your eyes is too dark. Otherwise, everything looks very balanced and diffused with no distracting shadows.

The foul weather gear is actually fire/rescue turn out gear... I agree that I could have had a reflector to bounce some light up, may do that next time.

Blade Canyon

The foul weather gear is actually fire/rescue turn out gear... I agree that I could have had a reflector to bounce some light up, may do that next time.

Ahh... then smudge some ash under your eyes and you'll look the part!

I shot some portraits recently and the lighting was TOO balanced, so everything looked flat, even though the background was blurred out. So, in retrospect, your lighting is probably just right.

Scott Murray

Ahh... then smudge some ash under your eyes and you'll look the part!

I shot some portraits recently and the lighting was TOO balanced, so everything looked flat, even though the background was blurred out. So, in retrospect, your lighting is probably just right.
Dont worry I have thought about putting my helmet on, lighting a big fire and rubbing ash over my face lol. But will wait for a month when we start our yearly burns.

wud

Looks good :-D in post I would add a touch more light to the eyes. Often hard to do with the lighting, as you risk getting hotspots on chin or forehead, imo.

Sent from Tapatalk