I fear the onset of NAS......

Tigertail

......now I have been playing with other lenses and need my own!

I would like the extra reach of a 300mm having tried a 55-200mm nikkor but am budget constrained (as I'm sure everyone is) SO opinions please on Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro against Nikkor 55-300mm AF-S G ED VR or any other sugestions gratefully received!

I keep buying the Lotto tickets but until my numbers come up............

Heather

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I haven't used either of the lenses your talking about, but the 70-300 VR is very very nice.

AxeMan - Rick S.

Oh Heather, you're going to kill me. I was the same way last year had a 55-200mm and wanted more. So with my tax return I went out and bought a big heavy stupid 28-300mm Nikon lens. I really like this lens.....on bright sunny days. Anything but a bright sunny day this lens is a light eater in my eyes. Maybe I still have to learn how to use this lens, I don't know. Only thing I know is my D90 is always screaming for more light with this lens on past 200mm.

If I had to do it all over again I would give up he extra 100mm and buy fast glass (f/2.8) I know (we) are all on a budget and fast glass is a lot of money, but look at it this way. I put a lot on money down in the first place, now I'm going to put even more money down to get the results I'm looking for and buy a second lens. The combined price of both lenses I could have gotten one killer lens if I would have held off NAS and listened to reviews on the 300mm lens I bought.

Fight off that NAS and invest your money in fast glass.

That's my experience with 300mm and my 2-cent's worth. I am also interested in the replies that come from this question, but remember it's Heather's question and let's keep it on track for her questions and not mine. If anyone wishes they can PM me about my post.

fotojack

Heather, believe me when I tell you I completely understand budget constraints! :) I'm as frugal as they come when it comes to lens acquisitions. I have to be, being on a retirement budget. Having said that, your choices for a 300 lens are good ones. I went with the Nikon 55-300 because of the price and the lens quality. I love the pictures I get with it. See my shot in today's Critique forum for an example. Nothing wrong with the Sigma either. Both great choices for the budget conscious. Rick is absolutely right, though. If we all had our druthers, we'd all be shooting with 2.8 lenses or better! :) Life can be cruel sometimes, eh. :) I should have been born rich instead of so incredibly good looking. ;)

Mike150

Like Jack, I am also "Frugal", however, My wife uses the term Cheap Ba.... Ummmm..... Nevermind.
I am also looking for a good 300mm lens. Price and my unexplained compulsion to only have Nikon glass, almost dictates I get the 55-300. If my luck holds out, I'll have enough money saved about the same time I get my thumb out of this contraption the doc put on it. Only five more weeks to go. Around 8 for the lens

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I used to do the same thing with car parts. Then I got married and bought a house. haha I sold the car and a lot of parts that went with it.

btw, I added NAS to the acronym list :)

Curt

I haven't used either of the lenses your talking about, but the 70-300 VR is very very nice.

I agree the Nikon 70-300mm VR is fantastic and well worth the extra $$ you will not be disappointed with this lens.
Spend the extra cash, in the long run you will be so much happier with it.

Sambr

Oh Heather, you're going to kill me. I was the same way last year had a 55-200mm and wanted more. So with my tax return I went out and bought a big heavy stupid 28-300mm Nikon lens. I really like this lens.....on bright sunny days. Anything but a bright sunny day this lens is a light eater in my eyes. Maybe I still have to learn how to use this lens, I don't know. Only thing I know is my D90 is always screaming for more light with this lens on past 200mm.

If I had to do it all over again I would give up he extra 100mm and buy fast glass (f/2.8) I know (we) are all on a budget and fast glass is a lot of money, but look at it this way. I put a lot on money down in the first place, now I'm going to put even more money down to get the results I'm looking for and buy a second lens. The combined price of both lenses I could have gotten one killer lens if I would have held off NAS and listened to reviews on the 300mm lens I bought.

Fight off that NAS and invest your money in fast glass.

That's my experience with 300mm and my 2-cent's worth. I am also interested in the replies that come from this question, but remember it's Heather's question and let's keep it on track for her questions and not mine. If anyone wishes they can PM me about my post.

I have the 28-300vr and like it alot for my "general purpose don't know what I will run into" situations and don't want to pack a bag full of glass. However I do use it on the D700 which handles high ISO no problem. I agree 100% buy "Good glass" to start with. My favorite lens for wildlife is the 300mm f4 - they are reasonable priced and very sharp even wide open at f4. The 300mm f4 is a killer with the D90. Brings the reach to 450mm I use this lens 80% of the time with the D300. Another great lens is the 70-200vr the orginal one which can be bought used for a good price.

Tigertail

Thanks guys!

....am heading towards the 55-300 nikkor I reckon having looked at reviews and cost.

(and my numbers never came up tonight!)

Heather

Steve

Heather it's a shame your numbers didn't come up :( but untill you get your new lens, you have always got use of my 18-200...50-500 OS....10-20...105.2.8 macro & my 1.4 50mm...:)

Me on the other hand ... I am still waiting for nikon to release a replacement for the d300s..and a lottery win to pay for it...

Steve.

Tigertail

Well, thanks to everyone for your help and I have succumbed to NAS and ordered a 55-300mm VR Nikkor today as it was a great price.

£197 (approx $320) which is cheap if you say it real quick!:eek:

.........now where is the Fedex man?:D

Heather

Mike150

Now I'm jealous. I can't wait to see some of your shots.

I re-did my calculations, and unless something catastrophic comes up, I'll be ordering mine the first part of August. My wife is going to kill me when I do. LOL

fotojack

Congrats Heather! You won't regret buying this lens. I hardly take mine off my camera. Just remember.........hand held...VR on; on a tripod...VR off.

Tigertail

WOO HOO!!!:D

The nice DHL man brought my 55-300VR yesterday but the light was bad last night:(

Tonight was a nice evening so I went to my local beach and found some kite surfers playing.

I think I am going to like this lens!:D

Heather

Kite-surfer.jpg

Moving kitesurfer.jpg

Steve

Well done heather, I see you are getting on well with the new lens..and I bet you are a happy bunny now...............