Auto ISO

mikew_RIP

Just read a piece saying that with the D750 on auto ISO you can set it to take into consideration the focal length you are using say with a zoom,so decide the min shutter speed you want to use at a given focal length,can any one confirm this.

nickt

I don't have the camera, but I read it in the d750 manual for sure. Looks like it works the same as it does on our d7100's. I find it quite useful for the times when I do use auto iso.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Just read a piece saying that with the D750 on auto ISO you can set it to take into consideration the focal length you are using say with a zoom,so decide the min shutter speed you want to use at a given focal length,can any one confirm this.

As far as I know based on my experience with my current equipment, the auto ISO works and adjust the settings in order to create a well exposed image based on the metering, Aperture, and shutter speed. The focal length factor is news to me but then again, I have not been current with all of the latest technology.

mikew_RIP

As far as I know based on my experience with my current equipment, the auto ISO works and adjust the settings in order to create a well exposed image based on the metering, Aperture, and shutter speed. The focal length factor is news to me but then again, I have not been current with all of the latest technology.

Yes,i use auto ISO on my D7100 but have not seen anywhere that will automatically adjust the shutter speed for a zoom,but this guy had said the D750 will do that.

Horoscope Fish

Under the Auto-ISO function there is an option to adjust the minimum shutter speed; I have a feeling this is what the article is referring to. You can set it to use a specific minimum shutter speed (say, 1/125 or 1/60 or 1/1000 or what have you) or you can set minimum shutter speed to "Auto". Under the "Auto" selection this a slider that has five settings from "Slower" to "Faster". Typically, I shoot in manual mode with Auto ISO enabled and the Minimum Shutter Speed option set to "Auto" with the slider moved one click towards "Faster".

This is how the D750 is set up and I'm 99% sure the D7100 is set up the same way. I'll go get my 7100 and check, though...

Yup, the D7100 has the same menu options for Auto ISO as the D750.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Auto ISO will always consider focal length on every Nikon I've used it on provided that the lens actually communicates with the camera. That includes the D7000, D7100, D600, D610, D750 and D800. I set it to the +2 side of faster and almost never use VR any more. The only time it will not adapt is if it cannot produce a proper exposure with your camera settings and the max ISO you've directed it to use.

BTW, I use this all the time, even in manual mode, which makes bird photography quite simple. Set the shutter to 1/1000, aperture to f8 or f9 (sweet spot on the Sigma 150-500mm) and let the camera figure out the ISO. It's easier to clean up noise on a shot you actually have instead of trying to deblur the bird that you shot in a noiseless frame shot at 1/60.

Last edited:

nickt

Yes,i use auto ISO on my D7100 but have not seen anywhere that will automatically adjust the shutter speed for a zoom,but this guy had said the D750 will do that.
This was one of the features that convinced me I needed a d7100. So yes, your d7100 has it.

nickt

Auto ISO will always consider focal length on every Nikon I've used it on provided that the lens actually communicates with the camera. That includes the D7000, D7100, D600, D610, D750 and D800.
I'm pretty sure the d7000 does not have an auto setting for minimum shutter speed under auto iso. Just throwing it out there in case somebody deciding between a d7000 and d7100 reads this.

aroy

Have never tested the Auto ISO with different lenses. On D3300 the Auto ISO works as follows :
. Set up Max ISO, the Min is what you set with the ISO dial
. Set Min Shutter speed
The aperture is set with the command dial

The camera will now vary the shutter speed first and when the limit is reached the ISO. If ISO limit is reached the shutter speed is reduced.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Under the Auto-ISO function there is an option to adjust the minimum shutter speed; I have a feeling this is what the article is referring to. You can set it to use a specific minimum shutter speed (say, 1/125 or 1/60 or 1/1000 or what have you) or you can set minimum shutter speed to "Auto". Under the "Auto" selection this a slider that has five settings from "Slower" to "Faster". Typically, I shoot in manual mode with Auto ISO enabled and the Minimum Shutter Speed option set to "Auto" with the slider moved one click towards "Faster".

This is how the D750 is set up and I'm 99% sure the D7100 is set up the same way. I'll go get my 7100 and check, though...

Yup, the D7100 has the same menu options for Auto ISO as the D750.

Auto ISO will always consider focal length on every Nikon I've used it on provided that the lens actually communicates with the camera. That includes the D7000, D7100, D600, D610, D750 and D800. I set it to the +2 side of faster and almost never use VR any more. The only time it will not adapt is if it cannot produce a proper exposure with your camera settings and the max ISO you've directed it to use.

Ok, I guess I have been out of touch with my camera for a while but the initial post was accurate.

Just to be clear so that we are all on the same page. Starting from the camera's shooting menu --->ISO sensitivity settings ----> with my D800E, the sub menu reads ISO Sensitivity, AUTO ISO Sensitivity control (ON/OFF), Maximum sensitivity, and minimum shutter speed, which to me is where the topic originated.

The minimum shutter speed can be set by the user manually or if set in AUTO, the camera will adjust the shutter speed based on the focal length of the lens if the lens has a built-in CPU that can communicate with the camera. NOW it is clear as mud to me. :D

Auto ISO will always consider focal length on every Nikon I've used it on provided that the lens actually communicates with the camera.

Is there a chart or guide that tells what the shutter speeds will be set to for the AUTO shutter speed based on focal length?
Also say I am using the 18-140 will it set it slower if I am using the 18 and faster if I am at 140?

J-see

I don't really understand the focal length part.

If I set auto-ISO I can define the minimum shutter speed I desire and the maximum ISO to be used. That's it.

I checked again and I can set shutter to auto and then select slower to faster but I don't see much use in it. Maybe that's because I see no use in ISO at all when shooting RAW with the D750.

Last edited:
I don't really understand the focal length part.

If I set auto-ISO I can define the minimum shutter speed I desire and the maximum ISO to be used. That's it.

I had never ran the full list of minimum shutter speeds on my D7100 but if you do you will see "AUTO" at one end. This sets the shutter speed based on the focal length supposedly. I have been trying to find the parameters of what it sets based on the focal length but have not had any luck finding it yet.

J-see

I had never ran the full list of minimum shutter speeds on my D7100 but if you do you will see "AUTO" at one end. This sets the shutter speed based on the focal length supposedly. I have been trying to find the parameters of what it sets based on the focal length but have not had any luck finding it yet.

I checked both the D810 and D750 and they have the Auto option when selecting minimum shutter speed but it's a crude scale from shorter to longer. I'll go check the manuals to see if there is more explained since shorter or longer can be about anything.

J-see

This is all info I have in the D810 manual. I assume the D750 to be identical.

Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 21.46.48.png

It's pretty vague.

I also have a hard time finding use for it. If I use auto-ISO and set my minimum shutter to auto, what shutter and ISO will I end up with? I can shoot BiF at 600mm but also a static with VR enabled. I doubt to the cam it makes any difference.

Last edited:

TieuNgao

Horoscope Fish is correct in saying: "Under the "Auto" selection there's a slider that has five settings from "Slower" to "Faster".
If you select the center mark (default), then the minimum speed is reciprocal of the focal length (for example: 1/100s for 100mm lens), each mark in either direction from the center is roughly one f-stop faster or slower.

Horoscope Fish is correct in saying: "Under the "Auto" selection there's a slider that has five settings from "Slower" to "Faster".
If you select the center mark (default), then the minimum speed is reciprocal of the focal length (for example: 1/100s for 100mm lens), each mark in either direction from the center is roughly one f-stop faster or slower.

I played with it this afternoon and that is roughly what I found.

Enlighten me if you want since I might have to shoot the D810 using ISO.

I assume this shutter option has some advantage when shooting auto-ISO in A mode?

In changing light conditions when you are shooting you don't always have time to change settings to get "the shot". Say for Bird in Flight which is one of my favorite things to shoot I set the camera in M 1/2000 @F8. I use these setting since they give me good results for BIF. I then use Auto ISO to adjust for lighting conditions. Depending on the sky brightness I will also use +1 or +2 Exposure compensation to adjust for the darker bird against the bright sky. I have been getting good results with this. The shutter option would not apply to this setting.

I shoot in Program, Aperture Priority or shutter priority most of the time and I use Auto ISO all the time in those modes. Before today I set the minimum shutter speed based on my LONGEST zoom. with the 18-140 I used 1/300. Double the longest zoom. For the 70-300 I used 1/600. With using the Auto shutter speed I will not always be at the fastest shutter speed all the time. Shorter zoom slower shutter speed, lower ISO or smaller aperture.

I don't always use the longest part of the zoom but was limiting myself to the faster shutter speed so this way I gain better quality (lower ISO) or more depth of field (smaller aperture) when I use a wider angle on my zooms.

i still get the advantage of Auto ISO that I really like.