Temperature Raising??

bikeit

I was at a local sporting event earlier and it was swamped with photographers, i got talking to one of the pro photographers and he was showing me some of his photos and they looked spot on he looked at mine and said yea they look good but you need to raise the temperature setting in your camera, so as i didn't want to look stupid I agreed, so anyone here tell me how i do this?

SteveH

Yeah sounds like colour balance - Good that you shot in RAW, you can just easily change it in whatever processing package you use - Have a tinker with the presets in Photoshop or whatever you use... Normal presets are Daylight, Cloudy, Fluorescent, flash etc.

Basically, the light you were shooting in effects how the camera sees the colour, so you need to tell the camera (or Photoshop) what temperature the light was when you took the shots. You can also then add more vibrancy using the sliders.

Also, since you have the D5300, check if the "Flat image" mode was on or off, as that can affect colour vibrancy.

SteveH

Thanks for your help on this, but how do i access the flat image mode?

Actually, I have misled you! For some reason I thought you had a D5500 - The D5300 doesn't have have flat picture mode.

Just play with the colour temp settings in your editing software and you will see how you can add more pop to your colours.

SteveH

You can set it, but I think it would only tell LR what setting to use on import, RAW files do not record the setting as it is just a record of what the sensor "saw". I leave mine at default, and then set all pictures in bulk using LR after I import.

Fred Kingston

I see that in PS & LR but thought my camera would have the option to do this pre editing.

Goto your Shooting Menu, then select White Balance, then scroll right and see what the camera is set to...scroll down to Choose Color Temp... and scroll right...and again see what Temp. K the camera is set to... increase the temp. 1 or 2 increments until you get the "warmth" you want... test at the different settings...

You can still adjust the WB temp. in LR & PS...

Fred Kingston

White Balance: Direct sunlight

White Balance: Incandescent

Auto:
White balance is adjusted automatically. Recommended in most situations.

- Normal (selected cameras only)
- Keep warm lighting colors (selected cameras only)

Incandescent:
Use under incandescent lighting.

Fluorescent:
Choose from seven types of fluorescent lighting.

Direct sunlight:
Use with subjects lit by direct sunlight.

Flash:
Use with built-in or optional flash units.

Cloudy:
Use in daylight under overcast skies.

Shade:
Use in daylight for subjects in the shade.

Choose color temp.:
Choose a color temperature.
[/B]

Preset manual:
Set white balance to a previously measured value.

The above is straight out of the D5300 manual

Fred Kingston

Good news/bad news.... although one manual shows the ability to set the temp directly in Kelvin, that camera apparently doesn't... but you can still warm up one of the pre-sets...

Goto the same WB menu, and let's scroll right on AUTO... see if you have 2 Auto modes...
1. Auto1 Normal
2. Auto2 Keep warm lighting colors

Try the second option and see if that warms stuff enough for you

Fred Kingston

If the above works... you can increase the warmth by scrolling right in Auto2 and the adjusting the A-B to A1 and the G-M to G1... continuing moving the cursor into the upper right quadrant will progressively get warmer ... using that little color grid...

Horoscope Fish

I was at a local sporting event earlier and it was swamped with photographers, i got talking to one of the pro photographers and he was showing me some of his photos and they looked spot on he looked at mine and said yea they look good but you need to raise the temperature setting in your camera, so as i didn't want to look stupid I agreed, so anyone here tell me how i do this?
Were you were talking to a Canon shooter? I ask because Nikon cameras are known to shoot a little on the cool side, Canon cameras are known to shoot a little on the warm side and people, generally speaking, tend to prefer warmer color tones. This not a White Balance thing, which has to do with the color of the ambient light, it's a Color-Correction thing. In fact, I tend to lower the blue channel mid-tones slider on my shots by five points or so as a part of my normal processing for this very reason.

Last edited:

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
On the 5300 the WB auto scroll right and you only get the box as the OP stated. No auto1 and auto2.

a1851e9262a2c6f3558df6b3ff3fb38f.jpg

This is where the Auto WB would be adjusted.

Another method: Manual - use an existing photo you have taken, or use a white card for a photo for settings.

That's what I have found on my 5300 so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I might add that I never have used this or changed anything on it. I do all of my adjusting with Capture NX-D or Gimp or RT. Mostly with Capture NX-D. And I do shoot RAW