Sea Lion Branding

Woodyg3

Contributor
I only recently discovered this practice of the Oregon Fish and Game Department. They capture, tag, and brand sea lions with a number, then track them around the area of the Columbia River entrance. This is done to supposedly protect the salmon population. If the sea lions are eating the precious, semi-endangered salmon, they are first harassed, then transported away, and finally euthanized if they are "repeat offenders." Never mind that fishermen are alowed to harvest a great deal more of the salmon than the sea lions eat, and that the salmon is their natural food.

I took this picture of this sea lion way down in Encinitas, in Southern California. I think it's really sad that 232V is branded in huge type across his entire side. I'm glad he's no longer anywhere near the Columbia River, though.

SeaLion-1.jpg

Its Just Me

I only recently discovered this practice of the Oregon Fish and Game Department. They capture, tag, and brand sea lions with a number, then track them around the area of the Columbia River entrance. This is done to supposedly protect the salmon population. If the sea lions are eating the precious, semi-endangered salmon, they are first harassed, then transported away, and finally euthanized if they are "repeat offenders." Never mind that fishermen are alowed to harvest a great deal more of the salmon than the sea lions eat, and that the salmon is their natural food.

I took this picture of this sea lion way down in Encinitas, in Southern California. I think it's really sad that 232V is branded in huge type across his entire side. I'm glad he's no longer anywhere near the Columbia River, though.

View attachment 149816

Did you notice that the flipper band is119V and the side brand is 232V? I think this pup is a repeat offender. Perhaps the third offense is termination.

Its a pity this form of punishment is not practiced on child predators. It might prove more effective!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
It's really a shame that the animals have to endure branding. That must have hurt immensely especially because it is so large.

Krs_2007

Keep in mind that the circle of life comes into play here. How do you control one side of the circle and not the other. It's the same thing for bears. If you have a protective mind set for one species, another will grow. Sometimes it's best to let Mother Nature do what she does best.

But sea lions, seals are cute but their predators are not so let's protect them.

Think back to to who use to use them for their circle of life, native Americans/Alaskans. That lifestyle is frowned upon these days, so no natural predator. Orca's are one predator, but with migration even they can't keep up.

It's called an imbalance, how do you fix it?

You tag, track, if it's a nuisance then you fix it.

Forced circle of life, or government is what I like to call it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Woodyg3

Contributor
I have a degree in environmental conservation, and so I have a good handle on the reasons for wanting to manage the sea lions. I also understand that the government's main interest in protecting salmon is economic, not environmental. Overfishing by man has caused this problem, along with the change in river ecosystems due to dams and other man-made changes. We'll never see a complete prohibition of salmon fishing because of all sorts of political reasons, the most important being money.

Anyway, it sure would have been nice to photograph the sea lion without the disfigurement given to him by Oregon Fish and Game. Regardless of all the ins and outs of this issue, I just think it's fundamentally wrong to do that to a wild animal.

On a side note, as I was photographing this little guy, a couple of young men came and looked at the sea lion and asked if he was my pet. I told them no, this was a wild sea lion. They were amazed. Then, when a local advised some other tourists who were trying to get a picture of themselves by the sea lion not to get to close, that they might bite, people were astonished that such a cute animal might actually bite. I guess they think all animals are Disney characters or something. :)

Horoscope Fish

I find it hard (read: impossible) to believe the most efficient, most practical method of tracking a wild animal this day in age is with a branding iron. And the best way to get to Mars would be by horse and buggy, right?

Elliot87

I have a degree in environmental conservation, and so I have a good handle on the reasons for wanting to manage the sea lions. I also understand that the government's main interest in protecting salmon is economic, not environmental. Overfishing by man has caused this problem, along with the change in river ecosystems due to dams and other man-made changes. We'll never see a complete prohibition of salmon fishing because of all sorts of political reasons, the most important being money.

Anyway, it sure would have been nice to photograph the sea lion without the disfigurement given to him by Oregon Fish and Game. Regardless of all the ins and outs of this issue, I just think it's fundamentally wrong to do that to a wild animal.

On a side note, as I was photographing this little guy, a couple of young men came and looked at the sea lion and asked if he was my pet. I told them no, this was a wild sea lion. They were amazed. Then, when a local advised some other tourists who were trying to get a picture of themselves by the sea lion not to get to close, that they might bite, people were astonished that such a cute animal might actually bite. I guess they think all animals are Disney characters or something. :)

My degree is Conservation and Wildlife Management, so like you I have good grasp on why population management such as this takes place. I agree though that to brand them like that is not at all ethical, especially when there are much less intrusive and painful ways to go about it.
My job is in red squirrel conservation, which involves culling greys. Animal welfare though is always at the forefront and you minimise the chance of suffering as much as possible.

It also never ceases to amaze me how little people grasp about the realities of wild animals and their behaviour.

grandpaw

I am truly thankful to out government because without them I would not know what to eat or drink, how to treat my kids, where I can go or not go, what words to use or avoid using, where or how to use my computer or phone or for that matter do anything properly. Use of common sense is just not acceptable any more! I don't know why we send our kids to school because the government tells us everything that we should or should not be doing. No need to think or reason for yourself any more!

SteveH

I learned on a recent trip to Scotland, that the fishermen there can shoot seals that are eating farmed salmon - No second chances.