D7200 upgrade from D7000?

jimbro

Do you think the D7200 is a worthwhile upgrade from the D7000?

I've shot weddings and portraits with my D7000's and the images are great but I'm having to rely on flash
for the indoor shots and I'd rather use natural light. This is where I'm thinking the low light capabilities of the D7200
would benefit.

Staying with DX means all my lenses are OK and I've heard the D7200 called "the best DX camera there is"

Opinons?

nickt

Having a d7000, I still felt it was worth adding the d7100 to my kit. Two things that stood out for me... 1)more pixels, so more ability to crop wildlife and macro shots and 2) I started liking auto iso in some situations and it is better implemented on the d7100/d7200. You can set the auto iso minimum shutter speed to 'auto' and it will adjust to the changing focal length of a zoom lens. I'm not feeling a need to jump to the d7200, but if I didn't have the d7100, I would certainly go for the d7200.

carguy

The only camera I would not upgrade to a D7200 is the D7100 personally. Not enough 'punch' for what I shoot.

From a D7000, I can see more bang for the upgrade :)

Michael J.

The question is why would someone upgrade to a new camera. Is it cos of "The New", or is their really a need?

If I upgrade my D5100 is cos I see that weatherseald an dMotor is now important for me. Soon the rainy season comes, the water festival starts next week and some other events. I couldn't shoot that much in the past cos my cam was not appropriate for that.

The motor gives me more lens choice. If more focus points, two slots, etc. that is a great. More pixel to me is not that important cos I don't sell a photo cos it is just a hobby.

Woodyg3

Contributor
If I were doing wedding photography and wanted to do indoor natural light, I'd go for the D610 or another full frame camera. That's assuming I had or could afford some FX lenses. Otherwise, the D7200 has the best picture quality and low light performance of any crop frame DSLR. Only you can decide if that's worth a $1200 upgrade to you. :)

jimbro

If I was going to go Fx, I would go for the D750. Most if my lenses would be OK as the are D lenses. Only issue is the almost £2000 price tag. D7200 can use all my lenses, flashes, batteries and even grips and costs half the D750. Gives great performance in low light and can almost focus in the dark.

I shoot weddings about 60 a year and two years ago upgraded from the D7000 to the D7100
Initially disapointed with the quality and had to change my Sigma lenses to Nikon as there were problems with the LCD ( will not stay on for less than 1 min..runs batteries down) Then with the nikon lens and sharp set to max it was great a vast improvement and much more cropping possible. I put this half down to the Nikon lens and half to more pixels/no filter on the chip.
However from the first wedding we ( Ihave 2xD7100) had severe problem with focus on low contrast/ back lit subjects..brides at the top table ..well thats not dark is it ..usually at the 140 end of the 18-140. Also problems with first kiss in church etc.
As the D7200 has the same CAM 3500 be carefull your D7000 has the CAM 4800 with the central sensor supported by the 8 around it .... My only partial solution which I am not pleased about (£££££ ) is to use a 24-120 F4 but as I also carry a D800 with 17-35 I can cover the lower end. PM me if you want to know more as I am sure some get bored by this "W" discussion.
D7000 grip will not fit.
PS re previous ..it can focus in the dark yes on a bow tie but not on a bride or a face....

Last edited:
I did and I am very pleased with the results. While I loved my D7000 I am finding the D7200 to be outstanding. Especially the focusing system which while good on the D7000 is in a different league with the D7200 (IMHO).

jimbro

Well. I kinda went for it but I bought the D750 instead. Awesome camera so I shouldn't need to upgrade for a long time. Just some extra lenses ;-)