D5300 with Nikon AF-S VR 105mm f/2.8G Micro

hsiehjon

I currently own a D5300 and want to invest in a lens that I will also be FX compatible. I need FX compatible because I plan to upgrade to an FX camera in the future. How well will this macro lens work on a DX camera? Anyone use(d) this setup?

Thanks in advance!

nzswift

It will work fine and have an effective focal length of 150mm which may be better for little critters that are easily spooked

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Any lens that doesn't have the letters DX on their barrels will cover full FX frame. Nikon lenses at least since other companies do have different terminology when it comes to DX and FX compatibility.

RocketCowboy

Howdy and welcome to Nikonites!

The key piece of information that you're looking for is the "AF-S" in the lens description. Where they are multiple different 105mm f/2.8 prime models that Nikon has built, the AF-S has the built-in autofocus servo so that you can use it completely with the D5300. You might also find older AF-D and earlier variants of this lens. Those earlier models expected the autofocus motor to be on the camera body, which unfortunately the D5300 doesn't have.

As Marcel pointed out, as long as the lens doesn't list DX on the barrel, it'll work on both DX and FX bodies. Then, as long as it's an AF-S lens as well, you'll also be able to autofocus on your current body.

Hope that helps.