Upgrading to the D750

Jtedlin

So I finally have the opportunity to purchase a new camera, and have decided to pick up the D750 tomorrow during my lunch break or after work. I currently shoot a D3100 that I have had for about four or five years. I have been looking at the fx cameras for a while but they have always been out of my budget. I was just curious what some of you would deem must haves with this camera (I plan on getting the body and the 24-120mm lens and an external flash). I was thinking a good filter set along with a battery grip to go along with that. Any suggestions? [Sorry for the rushed message I am at work and I may of left a few things out, in which case I am sorry.]

I should also add I shoot landscapes MOST of the time but have started practicing my portrait work more and more since most of my friends are starting to start families and want pictures while we hang out.

rocketman122

bravo on your new upgrade.

flash wise, you can go oem (SB700/910 or a used 900/800/600) or 3rd party. the very good yongnuo 565 ($100 shipped) or 568($120 shipped) will work great for little money and give you what you need. theyll play nice with their slaves when you decide to move to off camera flash and portrait photography. you can get studio gear for cheap. I wont recommend lenses other than if the sigma 24-105 ART was selling (not backorded for a while now) I easily recommend that over the nikons.

grip. you can go OEM which will be $370 and isnt in stock in most places, or go aftermarket by pixel ($90) or meike ($80)
https://fstoppers.com/deals/review-...fantastic-and-its-not-even-because-grip-59345

Third party battery grip for Nikon D750 camera: Pixel Vertax D16 | Nikon Rumors

I dont buy anything oem when it comes to flashes/camera batteries/or grips anymore. quality,reliability, features, price is all there. if you feel that having OEM is better feel free to go that way. I personally have better things I could buy with that $290 id save, like a great 50 1.8G lens. or adding another $150 and getting the 85 1.8g that will be stellar for taking you to the next level for portraits ;)

what filters were you thinking of? polarizer/ND? not a filter person like I used to be when I had my cd folio travel case with tons of cokin P filters. today, meh. everything is done in PP and blending multiple exposures.

tripod, check? good SD cards, check? usb 3 card reader, BIG TIME CHECK! moving big files, usb 3.0 for the win. maybe a better strap? dont know what else to recommend. sensor cleaner, fotomaki sushi, maybe shrimp nigiri..I dont know. just trying to pass the time hahaha

BackdoorArts

"Must haves" are the body and lenses worth shooting with (the 24-120mm lives on my D750). After that it's subjective. I have grips on all my other Nikons, but I find the modified grip on the D750 body makes it so much easier to hold that I don't miss the grip on it (I was waiting for it to be released, now I don't care).

My advice? Start with that pair and then figure out what you need that you don't have. Knowing that 120mm is 80mm on your D3100 you may find that you've lost reach that you wind up missing. The 70-200mm f4 is a nice second lens, but that's going to dent your budget, so figure it out as you go. 120mm is long enough to do portraits, though some pros prefer having 200mm for the bokeh, but I think you'll be fine.

Most of all, just go out and shoot and enjoy. You'll figure out the rest as you just shoot. Don't buy anything someone else tells you is a must have if you don't know that you need it now just because it goes with the camera. For a certain style? That's another story. For landscapes and (natural light) portraits you're covered.

J-see

I find the D750 a reasonable good hold as it is. My hand is just that bit too big but compared to my previous D3300 and the D810, the D750 is the better of the three. The grip never bothered me, unlike the D810.

What lenses is entirely up to you. When I switched from the D3300 to the D750 my shortest FX lens was 35mm so I required some shorter for landscape. I have the range covered up to 14mm but most of the time shoot my 24mm. You got that covered with your 24-120mm.

Bill16

Congrats! I'm glad you have enough money to buy things to go with your camera body! I'm never patient enough to save extra money for extra stuff to go with! Lol like right now I'm waiting for my new to me D800e to get here! Lol :)

Jtedlin

Well, I went during lunch after paying off a loan from a hit and run late last year and picked up the D750 with a 24-120mm lens. Ordered myself a nice Hoya ND filter for it as well which I can't wait for that to get here. Holding off on all the extras just a bit longer just to finalize and decide which ones I will truly need/want. But I have to say, I am loving this camera. Now I just need to go and set all the buttons to how I want them. But here is the first photo I took with it. 11091107_664916646988495_1346590656_o.jpg

Panza

Grats on the upgrade. Just my 0.02, but the FEEL of moving from a D3100 to a D750 is so mind blowing that I could never go back to D5k and lesser Nikons. The grips feel like they're for teenagers and the buttons don't feel as satisfying to push. Am I just picky?

The 24-120 should suffice too for most types of shooting.

jimbro

Congrats.
Just ordered mine today. Should have it by end of the week
It'll replace one of my D7000s.
My 50mm f1.8D,80-200m f2.8D and Sigma 50mm macro lenses will be OK as will my two Nissin flashes.
Just need to think about a short zoom(24-70/f2.8 or 24-120/f4). With the increase in low light performance the D750 brings,
f4 shouldn't be a hindrance
I'll also be on the lookout for a used 85mm f1.8G for portraits

Jtedlin

I bought mine at Bestbuy and I think their cut off is 15 days, so hopefully the drop happens by like next week, that extra money would look great as a new lens fund.

Horoscope Fish

The source of this information is Nikon Rumors - D750 Price Drop but now they're saying this will be an "Instant Savings" instead. I'm not sure what this means for recent purchasers, but for $300 I'd be tempted to go through the refund/re-order process if needed. $300 would go a long way toward some nice glass, or a tele or a battery grip...

J-see

The source of this information is Nikon Rumors - D750 Price Drop but now they're saying this will be an "Instant Savings" instead. I'm not sure what this means for recent purchasers, but for $300 I'd be tempted to go through the refund/re-order process if needed. $300 would go a long way toward some nice glass, or a tele or a battery grip...

They had one of those instant savings when I bought the D810. It's only temporary here. After you buy it, you need to register to get a refund.