Upgrading to full frame

AmeetXBL

I have been using my D5100 for the past three years and i am Planning to take the plunge and buy a full frame camera.
I had a few questions that i hope you'll could help me with.
Should i wait for the new 5d marks iii's successor or should i just buy the d810?
I will be buying the 70-200 f2.8 and 24-70 f2.8. and the 85 mm
Now, the dilemna here is whether to buy nikkor/canon lenses or sigma, tamaron?
Will i get a cheaper deal if i buy from a retail store or buying online would be the better option here?
Also some suggestions for a sturdy tripod, a camera bag and flashes?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
You will get a better deal if you buy online, BUT, you'll get better service and support if you buy from a real store, specially from an authorized Nikon dealer.
If you ask yourself if you should wait, I say yes, wait until they stop research and make something that will never be updated... (tongue in cheek)

I mean, why would you want us to tell you if it's better to wait... It's not our money nor our decision to make. Why do people think that a Forum can make the right decision for them.

I think you should go to a real store and handle both the Nikon and Canon cameras. Both can produce similar quality images, but they do handle very differently and their button layout is so different that I think you only should make that decision.

Good shopping. I do hope you'll choose Nikon since I think it's a better product.

RocketCowboy

Howdy and welcome to Nikonites!

That's quite a bag of questions to drop in one post ... upgrading to full frame, but also all the lenses, bag, tripod, gear questions. Without having more info about what you shoot, a lot of the discussion is purely speculative. My suggestion would be to start with the lenses (24-70/70-200/85 if those fit your needs) first, as you can take advantage of the better glass with your D5100 today. Once you have the lenses, bag, tripod, flash, etc ... then jump into the full frame camera that handles exactly what you need.

As to where/how best to purchase in India, that advise would come better from some of the other Nikonites living in India, versus what works for me here in Texas. :)

Pretzel

My advice:

Get a NIKON! (well, really, what did you expect from a forum called "NIKONITES" anyway?) Not sure why you would switch to Canon now after 3 years of experience with Nikon, but whatever floats your boat. Both brands produce highly capable cameras.

Either way, I advise you to price shop, compare reputations and reviews, and get what you feel is best. There's been a lot of helpful suggestions already, so I won't add any more.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

My advice is to do what comes naturally. By naturally, I mean you've been shooting Nikon for quite a while, so you'd be in a better learning curve with gear that matches your previous experience. My best answer for you is to stick with Nikon, but that being said, it's your choice. Happy shootng. Let us know what you decide.

Horoscope Fish

Should i wait for the new 5d marks iii's successor or should i just buy the d810?
The replacement for the 5DM3 is here and it's called the 5DS/R. It's a worthy competitor for the D810. The Canon has higher resolution but the Nikon has better dynamic range (and so forth and so on with the give and take). But since we don't know what kind of shooting you do we can't really suggest what camera might be your best bet.

Used to be buying Nikon glass was the only way to go; Nikon was, pretty much undisputedly, The King of glass, but... Those days are gone now. Third party manufacturers are turning out glass that easily equals, and just as often as not, betters the glass put out by Nikon/Canon. Every lens decision needs to be carefully weighed and *all* options should be considered.

Will i get a cheaper deal if i buy from a retail store or buying online would be the better option here?
Impossible to say.

[
Each one of these items should be covered in a separate post.

jay_dean

I have been using my D5100 for the past three years and i am Planning to take the plunge and buy a full frame camera.
I had a few questions that i hope you'll could help me with.
I will be buying the 70-200 f2.8 and 24-70 f2.8. and the 85 mm
There's not much point waiting for successors, or you may as well wait for the D810 replacement and so on. The Nikon lenses mentioned are top class, so you cant go wrong really, but that's a big chunk of cash!

J-see

What FX you prefer depends upon what you shoot. You can wait until there's a new version but it won't be that different and there too quickly will be a new version of that too.

The D810 is a fine cam unless you shoot low light a lot. Then the D750 does better.

The new Canon that Horoscope pointed out will probably take a great shot. It's going to be great at detail too. But with a sensor pixel of 4.1 micron it will have DX ISO performance. It's too small to do well during low light. More megapixels come at a price.

But again, it all depends what you plan to shoot.