A Writing Opportunity

Browncoat

My photography internship at the newspaper took an interesting turn last week. I have been asked to test my reporter skills as well by writing a feature story on a local farmer who is still farming at age 90. I know the man as he and my grandfather were friends, so it was decided that this assignment should be given to me. I've made contact with him and he is willing to do the story, we just have to find a convenient time so that I can go talk with him.

This will be a first for me. I've never done anything like this before, so I need a bit of help here. What kind of questions should I ask this guy? What would make you want to read this story?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Anthony, congrats on the offer the newspaper is giving you. From reading your posts, I think you have a great opportunity there just to show your talent. I find your writing very nicely done.
As far as questions, I think you should just go there, bring a recorder and talk. Interesting things to ask would be what is the single change he's seen that changed his life the most in all these years, does he find that nature (weather) has changed much all over these years, what does he think of pollution…chemical fertilizers.
I'm sure you'll find other things or he will lead you to other things. Just let him talk about the old days and his relationship with your grandpa.
Just have fun and try to learn as much as you can from the interview while keeping it simple for him.
Best of good fortune with this chance you have.

PavementPilot

I would start off with what got him into farming, family tradition or to make money as a business and let it flow from there. Ask about some funny and serious situations that come to mind. What changes he has seen in the farming industry in his time as a farmer.

PhotoAV8R

My father-in-law was a farmer and I always was interested to hear "how it was" way back when.

Perhaps visit his farm, look at it as a photographer and then ask, "What did this look like years ago?" "How did you (fill in the blank) before you had access to today's technology?"

Paint a picture with words.

Oh, and get Ken Rockwell out of your mind before you start to compose...

Carolina Photo Guy

My photography internship at the newspaper took an interesting turn last week. I have been asked to test my reporter skills as well by writing a feature story on a local farmer who is still farming at age 90. I know the man as he and my grandfather were friends, so it was decided that this assignment should be given to me. I've made contact with him and he is willing to do the story, we just have to find a convenient time so that I can go talk with him.

This will be a first for me. I've never done anything like this before, so I need a bit of help here. What kind of questions should I ask this guy? What would make you want to read this story?

I was going to wish you luck, but "luck" always favors the prepared. I have read enough of your posts on here to know that you will carefully prepare yourself
for this task. So I am going to wish that you be relaxed and have a great time. You will do well.

Browncoat

Chance favors the prepared mind. - Louis Pasteur

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Pete. :cool:

Even though this is an assignment, not everything that is assigned actually gets published. I will post my story here regardless.

AxeMan - Rick S.

Didn't we have the almost the same conversation about a month or two ago when you started with the newspaper?

Your photos speak for themselves. The way you present yourself hear on the board with your writings and "words of wisdom" I think you'll have no trouble doing this story and getting it published. Just don't out think yourself and relax.

You remind me a lot of myself, "Give yourself more credit and confidence. You can do it and you'll be fine".

(We a least that 's what I'm told)

ohkphoto

Snow White
Anthony, you've got a lot of good advice here. You are very perceptive and have excellent skills (both photography and writing). So, relax and use them.
I think when you interview people, especially a 90 yr old, you just want to take your time and not let it become an interrogation. The longer you talk to him, the more you'll learn and a story will evolve, just like a photo evolves. Trust your instincts.

I was interviewed once for a story about how I rehabilitate dogs. The reporter spent 3 hours with me and my bunch of dogs. She snapped pictures and we had a casual talk about my methods. I had been showing her how the dogs could happily do the agility obstacles and how positive reinforcement works. At an unexpected moment, my blind schnauzer (of whom I had not asked anything) inched his way up the A-frame to the top and down the other side (6ft high at the peak), on his own. That became the hook for her story . . . the blind dog who had such a connection with me that he risked his safety to demonstrate that he could do what the other dogs had been doing.

So, wait long enough to find a "hook" for your story.

fotojack

Anthony, all I can do is echo the comments of the others. Have confidence in yourself. We both know that you can do this. You have a certain gift of gab, you're eloquent in your story telling, you're very perceptive, and you're resourceful. Remember, this 90 year old man has a ton of memories about his life, and what got him into farming. His story will flow like a river once you get him talking about it. And like Helene, says, look for the hook. You'll know it when you hear it.
Congratulations on the assignment. What a great opportunity!
Oh.....and take pictures. :)

LensWork

From what I have read that you have posted here, you certainly have the talent for writing. The only suggestion that I will offer is what my first journalism teacher, some 30 years ago, told the class on day one: "Inverted Pyramid". Basically, first tell the reader what you are going to tell them; something that grabs their attention within the first two or three sentences that will make them want to read the rest of the story. Next, give the details in the body of the story. Finally, tell the reader what you just told them; a summation of sorts.

Browncoat

Well, the interview went well. We talked for over an hour, and it was very interesting. He reminded me a lot of my grandfather, who passed away 6 years ago. Personally, I think there should be a law that states every young person should have to sit down and speak to someone from the Greatest Generation. It might do these ADD-ridden kids some good to hear about simpler times.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Here is the photo:

20110617-SDN-2.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Great shot Anthony, glad it went well for you. Isn't great to take time to just talk and listen. Enjoy the writing part now.

robinchun

From what I've read of your posts on here..you don't need much advice! As one who have has to stand in front of people and talk,I would say go with what you know and try to enjoy the expierience..perhaps you can let us know how it goes?

Robin

Should have read all the posts before posting..glad it went well