Rodeo

goz63

I am saving for a Nikon 70-200 VR 2.8 but until then I will use what I have. I was pleased with this photo especially considering the very poor lighting at the rodeo. They only had some portable generator lights for this local rodeo.
The best thing is that this was a D90, shot at 1/125 sec with ISO of 3200 at f5.6. There is some noise in the picture but I was pleased over all.
Bull Riding.jpg

JoeLewisPhotography

not bad for that high of an ISO on the D90. Its a nice pic, but the first thing I noticed is that the subjects aren't in focus...the background is. Ideally a faster shutter speed would have been better for this, but that takes away what little light you had. considering the quipment used and the conditions...its not bad though!

Joseph Bautsch

I agree a very good action shot. In this type of action shooting I would suggest using Dynamic Area focusing and AF-C mode. That way you can put the focus point on the subject. The camera will hold that point even if the subject temporality moves out of it. This will help keeping the focus on the subject and not the background. The AF-C mode will continually refocus the camera on the subject even if its moving away or toward you. You can find more information in your D90 manual on pages 54 and 173. A faster shutter speed would help with stop motion but you did a very good job with what you had to work with. Hope this helps.

Browncoat

Yup, pretty good considering what you had to work with. The photo itself is not that great (reasons already mentioned above) but you've captured a good action shot. You're pushing beyond the capable limits of your current lens. Once you get the f/2.8 you will notice a world of difference. You will be able to bump up your shutter speed to 1/500 or above and get much better low light shots.