WU-1B Wireless Transmitter

Fortkentdad

I have plugged my D610 into the ASUS Transformer Tablet and installed DSLR Dashboard and it works fine tethered - but the tethering cable is shall we say 'sub-optimal'.

I've looked at the WB-1B - ($59 on Amazon.ca)

Read a review of how "awesome" it is with DSLR Dashboard and wondering if anyone has this set up?
D600 + WU-1b + DSLR Dashboard = AWESOME!!: Nikon FX SLR (DF, D1-D4, D600-D800) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Dashboard is a free app, I have the tablet so $60 to provide remote control sounds 'awesome".

Scott Murray

I have plugged my D610 into the ASUS Transformer Tablet and installed DSLR Dashboard and it works fine tethered - but the tethering cable is shall we say 'sub-optimal'.

I've looked at the WB-1B - ($59 on Amazon.ca)

Read a review of how "awesome" it is with DSLR Dashboard and wondering if anyone has this set up?
D600 + WU-1b + DSLR Dashboard = AWESOME!!: Nikon FX SLR (DF, D1-D4, D600-D800) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Dashboard is a free app, I have the tablet so $60 to provide remote control sounds 'awesome".
I am pretty sure that is the one I have, have used it on my D800E (I think) or my D600. Hmmmm cant remember lol will pull it out tonight and test.

Fortkentdad

Thanks for the demo Sparky

I have used it on my ASUS and it is a great app.
Have heard there are some connection issues for some people with the WU gizmo. Most were complaining about upload issues to share their images quickly. For me that would not be a primary issue. I'm not a take a pic and post it immediately kinda guy. IF I need to show someone something immediately well there is the cell phone camera which is great for the "do you think I'd look good in this Hawaiian shirt I'm looking at at the Good Will store?" message to my wife. But as is said on this youtube transmitting a full sized image can take minutes per picture.

I will just have to drop the $60 and give it a go.

Fred Kingston

Sparky... Excellent demo...

Question: I have the WU and tried the Nikon software... and was disappointed... It would seem that remote function should be REMOTE... that means more than a 2-3' separation between the camera and the phone... Have you done any testing as to viable range between the devices????

Fortkentdad

Question: I have the WU and tried the Nikon software... and was disappointed... It would seem that remote function should be REMOTE... that means more than a 2-3' separation between the camera and the phone... Have you done any testing as to viable range between the devices????

I've read negative reviews about the Nikon software - most are disappointed. Several complain about compatibility with Apple stuff but I don't Mac - not a lot on it's Google / Android connectivity issues. Besides DSLR-Dashboard apparently there is another one called Control my Nikon at ControlMyNikon | Finest Nikon DSLR tethering and Nikon remote control

Have not checked it out, seems free 14 day trial then pay $29 USD.

Anyone use that one?

Missed the Amazon.CA sale price, it will come back. Outbid on one on Ebay.ca ... I'll get one soon enough.

480sparky

Never tested for range. But I'm sure it's somewhere along the same lines as a normal wifi connection.

Nikon's app is what I would call Wimpware. It really doesn't do much.

Fortkentdad

Never tested for range. But I'm sure it's somewhere along the same lines as a normal wifi connection.

Nikon's app is what I would call Wimpware. It really doesn't do much.

"Wimpware" love it.
When I get one I'll have a chance to check range. Thinking of focusing on a spot in my hunters blind tent. In the backyard. Then go inside and watch on the tablet.

If and when I get to try this will let you know.

SteveH

I use the WU-1 with my D7100, and while it is good, the range is very restricted - It just doesn't have the power in the signal. DSLR dashboard is WAY better than the Nikon software, but the whole setup is throttled by that weak signal.

I set my camera up on a tripod, all set on the bird table in my parents garden, then moved 5 meters back on the other side of the door - No signal. 5 meters and a piece of glass defeated this wireless wonder. I have used it for moon shots etc and stood few meters away outdoors and it has been fine, so if you just want a non-cabled remote it does the job - But if you want to leave your camera and hide out of the way, it may not work for you.

480sparky

I use the WU-1 with my D7100, and while it is good, the range is very restricted - It just doesn't have the power in the signal. DSLR dashboard is WAY better than the Nikon software, but the whole setup is throttled by that weak signal.

I set my camera up on a tripod, all set on the bird table in my parents garden, then moved 5 meters back on the other side of the door - No signal. 5 meters and a piece of glass defeated this wireless wonder. I have used it for moon shots etc and stood few meters away outdoors and it has been fine, so if you just want a non-cabled remote it does the job - But if you want to leave your camera and hide out of the way, it may not work for you.

My primary uses are when I need to put the camera in a situation where I cannot view the back of it, or when I'm shooting on a tripod an must have no contact with the camera/tripod to minimize finger-induced shaking. For field work, it's great, as I can usually get 15-20 feet away (with no obstructions!) and it works fine. This allows me to at least get out of the field of view.

For macro work, if I'm not tethered to a laptop I'll use DSLRDashboard in a pinch.

Fortkentdad

I use the WU-1 with my D7100, and while it is good, the range is very restricted - It just doesn't have the power in the signal. .... .... .... , it may not work for you.

Hmmmmmmm - makes me think twice.
Only $70 but still, if it can't send a signal 5 meters through a glass window? Ouch.

Still the other application I had in mind was a children's photo-shoots (think Easter Bunny's and Santa) and this would make it possible to set the tablet up where parents could see the product as it was shot much bigger than the back of the camera and more convenient.

Hmmmm

480sparky

Hmmmmmmm - makes me think twice.
Only $70 but still, if it can't send a signal 5 meters through a glass window? Ouch.

Still the other application I had in mind was a children's photo-shoots (think Easter Bunny's and Santa) and this would make it possible to set the tablet up where parents could see the product as it was shot much bigger than the back of the camera and more convenient.

Hmmmm

I would just use a wireless RF remote in that case. Use the WU unit to offload the images to a computer monitor. It's an easy do.

Fortkentdad

I would just use a wireless RF remote in that case. Use the WU unit to offload the images to a computer monitor. It's an easy do.

Oh, I do use one of those push button wireless remotes, as well as a tethered 'remote' trigger to reduce camera shake. The idea behind the DSLR Dashboard would be that I'd see the image before pressing the release - without having my face behind the camera. I can be off to the side, engaging the kids, make adjustments and snap the image.

But the idea of downloading directly also has appeal.

Hmmmm, maybe I'll get the crowbar out and pry open the wallet for $69.00.

480sparky

Oh, I do use one of those push button wireless remotes, as well as a tethered 'remote' trigger to reduce camera shake. The idea behind the DSLR Dashboard would be that I'd see the image before pressing the release - without having my face behind the camera. I can be off to the side, engaging the kids, make adjustments and snap the image.

But the idea of downloading directly also has appeal.

Hmmmm, maybe I'll get the crowbar out and pry open the wallet for $69.00.

You couldn't use the WU unit to control and trigger the camera, while tethering to a computer/monitor, because the WU unit plugs into the camera's USB port..... which you'd need for tethering.

An RF wireless remote uses a different port.

Ruidoso Bill

I am going to try a TP-Link MR3040, should arrive tomorrow, I already have dslr Dashboard on my samsung galaxy S5, I hope by using the portable wireless router setup I will achieve more range. I am also going to try getting it running on my kindle fire hd. I want the field monitor and wireless control, no need to save images or anything like that, just the wireless control. I have read 40-50 feet of range.

Last edited:

RocketCowboy

I am going to try a TP-Link MR3040, should arrive tomorrow, I already have dslr Dashboard on my samsung galaxy S5, I hope by using the portable wireless router setup I will achieve more range. I am also going to try getting it running on my kindle fire hd. I want the field monitor and wireless control, no need to save images or anything like that, just the wireless control. I have read 40-50 feet of range.

How do you anticipate the TP-Link and WU-1B will connect to each other?

The WU-1B (and the WU-1A) are pretty primitive WiFi devices. I use both fairly regularly just for simplicity, but find the CamRanger to be a much better WiFi/wireless setup. That said, I should try DSLRDashboard on my android tablet one of these days ...

Ruidoso Bill

Not going to use WU at all, just an alternative.
I am needing more range for real estate photography. I already have the phone and tablet, portable wireless router is about $32 from amazon, firmware and software is free, range up to 50 ft or so.

Last edited: