Self Portrait

Scott Murray

I have been 'experimenting' with flash, here I have used two speedlights. One is behind me the other is off to the Left of camera. This is SOOC and I am quite pleased with it. Any C&C is welcome.

PS dont worry about the pose or expression I had a shit model ;)

20150405-20150405-SHM_6501.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I think you need a backlight to give a bit of kick to your hair and give depth to the shot. But on the edit it's a bit better since the background is a bit lighter around you. As for the pose, even if you didn't want opinions, I'll give you mine, you need to turn your head a bit more to the camera so your eyes don't look to be off centered and bring your chin down a bit.

Scott Murray

I think you need a backlight to give a bit of kick to your hair and give depth to the shot. But on the edit it's a bit better since the background is a bit lighter around you. As for the pose, even if you didn't want opinions, I'll give you mine, you need to turn your head a bit more to the camera so your eyes don't look to be off centered and bring your chin down a bit.
Thanks Marcel, I did purposely not highlight my hair and was going for a blended approach in lighting. It is an experiment to a bigger picture that I have in the pipeline. Doing a self portrait like this is quite hard, but it is enjoyable. As for the pose, yeah can be better but this is all about lighting for now and me getting used to what off camera flashes can do. I have smoke and other things in mind down the track ;). Rim lighting would have been good but I only have 2 speedlights and they were all used up. Maybe a reflector but I dont have one. I can try this another time. I also need flash stands as these were just sitting there.