Crackle Glass

Rick M

Go ahead..., Make my day!

DSC_0007_012.jpg

Ruidoso Bill

I love the detail, color and contrast of the upper portion of the pitcher, the sharpness is great!. For my liking I would have changed the DOF to allow for the entire piece to be in focus.

Nice work, thanks for sharing.

JoeLewisPhotography

I love the soft background. It definitely makes the color POP. The others are right though...the very first thing I noticed was how the bottom was out of focus. It doesn't kill the picture, but it would be nice to see the entire thing, nice and crisp.

As for it being an "artful" image, that would be more true if it were taken at a different angle, but the fact that it is straight on, I would have to say it was intended to be a "plain image of a vase". By plain, i do not mean boring or dull, i just mean that it is what it is...a picture of a vase.

Nice shot regardless!

Browncoat

I agree w/ Joe 100% on this one.

The blue here is very striking against the background. It looks almost as if this vase is radiating some kind of blue energy.

Rick M

Thanks for the input everyone. One of the things I am interested in learning more about is the depth of DOF. I understand the basics, but how deep is the focus plane of say F3.2 (shot in this image) as opposed to say F8. The center of this vase only protrudes about a 1/2 inch more than the lip, yet it was enough to make a difference.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks for the input everyone. One of the things I am interested in learning more about is the depth of DOF. I understand the basics, but how deep is the focus plane of say F3.2 (shot in this image) as opposed to say F8. The center of this vase only protrudes about a 1/2 inch more than the lip, yet it was enough to make a difference.

The best way around this is to try a few shots with different f stops. Use a tripod and then see what the difference is. And don't forget that the results will also depend on the focal length of the lens.

Browncoat

This is about the most in-depth analysis of DOF that I've been able to find on the internet. More data is required to calculate the proper setting than what you've posted, so here is a link that will help you with that.

Rick M

Thanks Anthony, exactly what I was looking for. Very interesting to see the differences using the calculator! Much more of a difference than I would have thought.