Mirrorless vs. DSLR - Advantages/Disadvantages?

Has anyone used both mirroless and DSLR's? I have a D7100. What are the advantages/disadvantages of these? I noticed that I don't see any pro's using mirroless yet; perhaps there are a few out there? Nikon just announced a new Nikon 1 J5 today.

mikew_RIP

I think for me the mirror-less V2 i have is just not ready to replace my DSLR,it has some great features but for wildlife the shutter delay is just too much,i think this could be the same for photographing people but i dont do that.:D

Horoscope Fish

Has anyone used both mirroless and DSLR's? I have a D7100. What are the advantages/disadvantages of these? I noticed that I don't see any pro's using mirroless yet; perhaps there are a few out there? Nikon just announced a new Nikon 1 J5 today.
I think two of the big advantages that seem to appeal to most people are the lighter weight and smaller form-factor. Then too there's the insane, sustained, FPS rates and the electronic viewfinder which shows you a really good preview of how your shot will look after it's taken. Those, from what I can tell, seem to be the really big advantages mirrorless converts seem to harp on the most.

J-see

What I wonder about is how constant exposure affects the sensor.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume the mirrorless sensor is constantly exposed to light the moment the focus is activated while the DSLR, if not using live, is only exposed during the exposure of the shot.

I don't know if there are any long term tests or comparisons done but from what I know of photocells in other applications, they tend to degrade the more and longer they are exposed to light.

Maybe the total exposure over time is too short to have any effect on the sensor itself but it still makes me wonder.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Has anyone used both mirrorless and DSLR's? I have a D7100. What are the advantages/disadvantages of these? I noticed that I don't see any pro's using mirrorless yet; perhaps there are a few out there? Nikon just announced a new Nikon 1 J5 today.

I'd suggest taking a look at the threads in the dedicated Mirrorless Forum. The biggest issue is how are you going to use it? I think of my V2 as a standard claw hammer and my D800 as a sledge hammer. :p

Last edited:
It looks like the continuous frames shooting is much higher on the mirrorless, probably because it's more of an electronic process, I would assume. So, I guess that would be one advantage over the DSLR's.

AC016

That's interesting. What's the advantage to having both? Do you get the same continuous frame rates in both modes?

Electronic shutters are most beneficial when you are shooting wide open (F/1.2, 1.4, 1.8) in very bright sunlight. On the other hand, the have no benefit when you are shooting action.

gqtuazon

Gear Head

They kinda compliment each other. The mirrorless is not a replacement to the DSLR (for now) but are normally used when someone doesn't want to lug the bulky DSLR and lenses.

One of the disadvantages of the mirrorless is the shorter battery life. You need to buy additional batteries when shooting at an extended period throughout the day. Another disadvantage is that you will end up investing more since they have their own proprietary flash, software, and the dreaded over heating when taking video. These items are not normally disclosed until you find out later on.

Of course, not every MILC have these problems but this is more of a general issue. You'll need to do more research on your own and not just rely on this thread.

Last edited:

AC016

Proprietary software: Not so. If you have the latest Adobe software, you should be just fine.

Proprietary flash: Yes, they do have their own flashes. However, many people have managed to use other flash systems on their mirrorless cameras.

It is always beneficial to do your research before purchasing and not blame the manufacturer for not "disclosing" something. When i bought into Fuji, i had no surprises. I did my research and knew what i was in for.

Measure twice, cut once.

They kinda compliment each other. The mirrorless is not a replacement to the DSLR (for now) but are normally used when someone doesn't want to lug the bulky DSLR and lenses.

One of the disadvantages of the mirrorless is the shorter battery life. You need to buy additional batteries when shooting at an extended period throughout the day. Another disadvantage is that you will end up investing more since they have their own proprietary flash, software, and the dreaded over heating when taking video. These items are not normally disclosed until you find out later on.

Of course, not every MILC have these problems but this is more of a general issue. You'll need to do more research on your own and not just rely on this thread.

Very interesting. I guess it makes sense that mirrorless would use more battery. What about lenses? Do the DSLR's have better or more lenses available than mirrorless? I've seen big telephoto's mounted on mirrorless Nikon's before, but can they use DSLR lenses? And flashes; can you do off-camera flash with stand-alone units like you can with the DSLR's? Creative lighting?

AC016

Very interesting. I guess it makes sense that mirrorless would use more battery. What about lenses? Do the DSLR's have better or more lenses available than mirrorless? I've seen big telephoto's mounted on mirrorless Nikon's before, but can they use DSLR lenses? And flashes; can you do off-camera flash with stand-alone units like you can with the DSLR's? Creative lighting?

Since DSLRs have been around allot longer, they will obviously have a deeper lens line-up then a mirroreless system. Of course, you can buy adapters for mirrorless cameras and use those DSLR lenses from Canon, Nikon, etc. I can use Nikon and Canon lenses on my Fuji. In regards to flashes, i suggest you visit a mirrorless forum for more specific and well informed answers.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Proprietary flash: Yes, they do have their own flashes. However, many people have managed to use other flash systems on their mirrorless cameras.

I sometimes use the pop-up flash as a trigger for a larger flash. That is always an option, too.

weebee

I'm not sure if the J5 has much, if any, shutter lag. At the speeds mentioned I wouldn't think this be to an issue. I might have to rethink my next camera purchase.

Horoscope Fish

The mirrorless format has not matured to the point I'm comfortable making the switch, personally. Do I wish my Big Tam' (aka the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8) could shed a pound or so? I sure wouldn't mind, I admit. But, that being said, I don't mind the weight of my rig at its heaviest. I also know do not like the ergonomics of any mirrorless I've actually held. And from what I can tell, when you start putting on a zoom lens (or an adapter or both) and a competent flash on a mirrorless body, the overall size difference between them from a practical standpoint is not all *that* significant in my estimation. In a few years I think the mirrorless format will rein supreme but to my way of thinking, it's just not there. Not yet, or least... Not for me.

It will be interesting to see what the mirrorless format looks like/has to offer a year from now. I'm fully prepared to "eat" this post at that point in time.

The mirrorless format has not matured to the point I'm comfortable making the switch, personally. Do I wish my Big Tam' (aka the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8) could shed a pound or so? I sure wouldn't mind, I admit. But, that being said, I don't mind the weight of my rig at its heaviest. I also know do not like the ergonomics of any mirrorless I've actually held. And from what I can tell, when you start putting on a zoom lens (or an adapter or both) and a competent flash on a mirrorless body, the overall size difference between them from a practical standpoint is not all *that* significant in my estimation. In a few years I think the mirrorless format will rein supreme but to my way of thinking, it's just not there. Not yet, or least... Not for me.

It will be interesting to see what the mirrorless format looks like/has to offer a year from now. I'm fully prepared to "eat" this post at that point in time.

That's the impression I got a few years ago. Like I said, I still don't see any professionals using mirrorless. They seem to be all using DSLR's. They're usually a smaller sensor, from what I've seen. I know there are some advantages to having larger sensors...But, maybe there's one out there that is equivalent to FX?

I really like the battery life in my DSLR. It's really good.

I have a feeling that you're right, though. Someday, mirrorless will probably be the choice of professionals. :peaceful:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
For me, I like that my V2 acts like a mini-DSLR. It is nearly comparable to my former body (D300). I use it to supplement my D800.

As far as Pro's using mirrorless, check out this link or Thom Hogan's use of the Nikon 1 as a supplement on safari..