im turned off the d810

egosbar

well im baffled by nikon , my d7100 has user 1 and user 2 , i use them constantly , user 1 for portrait set at single point focus , matrix meter , aperture f5.6 , iso 100

user 2 is set for birds in flight , continuous focus (although now i use back focus so doesnt matter) shutter speed 2000 , ive set at center metering but not sure if i should be on matrix here or not

anyway my nephew just came home and he has a d800 , i couldnt believe it when he said he cant save the memory bank settings , i googled up the d810 to see if nikon had woken up and the answer surprised me , what a joke , i wouldnt buy this camera now , ill wait until one day they wake up and allow you to set it and save it each time like user one and two slot

you can save settings to you card but then you cant format it but maybe save it to the second card which i use for jpeg and just delete the photos without formatting making sure you have a copy on computer

0ff to nikon i go to voice my opinion on not buying this camera now because of that oversight , i mean why even have it

jay_dean

Tbh, i'm not that fussed about 'user' options. I'm not sure i'd use them if i had them really, changing the settings is easy enough. Horses for courses i guess

egosbar

i use my user one and two all the time , ok changing iso aperture and ss is very quick , but then changing meter modes etc , its just very handy to switch between the two , i shoot between these 95 percent of the time

i ask the question again why have a memory bank if it doesnt remember anything except last used settings lol , what a joke

Horoscope Fish

... ill wait until one day they wake up and allow you to set it and save it each time like user one and two slot ... 0ff to nikon i go to voice my opinion on not buying this camera now because of that oversight , i mean why even have it
If you don't want to own a D800 or D810 because they don't have the U1/U2 settings that's fine, but I don't think the D800/D810 was designed for photographers who would consider them essential.

Last edited:

J-see

I could care less about U1 & U2.

I want my cam to perform. They do.

The D810 has all options that readily available there's no need for those user settings.

egosbar

i like the idea of having set start points for a shoot, i can very quickly move my dial on the 7100 from user one to user two and have an instant 2000 ss at iso 100 may get the bird in flight i need

yes its a fine camera i just cant understand why they wouldnt have banks like the d7100 that you save the settings and return to a nice start point , one of the reasons i love them is i set both to iso 100 , im sure we have all taken shots at times and realised the iso is too high from a previous shoot , anyway after googling the 800 and see the complaints about it then finding they didnt change for the 810 its sort of turned me off a little , if im spending that money i want all the features that i feel comfortable with , id be slightly dissapointed not having them , ill go for a shoot with the 800 tomorrow , its a lot different then the 7100 so i may find its not nessasary

egosbar

If you don't want to own a D800 or D810 because they don't have the U1/U2 settings that's fine, but I don't think the D800/D810 was designed for photographers who would consider them essential.

then why have them in there in the first place

Last edited by a moderator:

J-see

Personally I don't need a saved starting point.

If I go birding, I set aperture and shutter depending the light I have. While walking I measure the light occasionally and adjust either the shutter or aperture. I have 90% set before I even see the bird. Every adjustment requires either just using the wheels or pushing a button and using the wheels. The same with focus modes and metering.

All in all the D810 is much faster to adjust than my D750 or D3300 because I don't need to be in menu or push any button at the back of the cam. It's all there on top or at the front and very quick to use.

Last edited:

egosbar

lets say im going on a bird shoot , i set up one called birds , nice now i have wide aperture , iso 100 , fast shutter , meter the way i want it to , focus the way i want it to etc
why wouldnt that be useful as a start point , like i said id miss the user one and two a little i think , i love being able to tweak them and save them

ken rockwell is dissapointed in his review that they dont do what im talking about , rate his views or not he mentioned it and there are a lot of comments regarding this online and why they havent fixed it or taken it out

egosbar

yeah looks easier to use ill take it for a spin tomorrow , just seems dumb to have them and not be able to save them is all

J-see

Btw, Ken Rockwell also says there's no need to shoot anything else but JPEG. I'd not take his opinions too serious.

Horoscope Fish

i like the idea of having set start points for a shoot, i can very quickly move my dial on the 7100 from user one to user two and have an instant 2000 ss at iso 100 may get the bird in flight i need

yes its a fine camera i just cant understand why they wouldnt have banks like the d7100 that you save the settings and return to a nice start point , one of the reasons i love them is i set both to iso 100 , im sure we have all taken shots at times and realised the iso is too high from a previous shoot , anyway after googling the 800 and see the complaints about it then finding they didnt change for the 810 its sort of turned me off a little , if im spending that money i want all the features that i feel comfortable with , id be slightly dissapointed not having them , ill go for a shoot with the 800 tomorrow , its a lot different then the 7100 so i may find its not nessasary
I totally understand where you're coming from and it's a difficult thing to explain but I think camera's at the D800 level are geared toward a different way of thinking about photography. I have my U1/U2 set for JPG and RAW for the rare times I want/need to shoot JPG but more to the point, I don't categorize my settings. I shoot in Manual and I want access to critical settings that offer creative control and I want that control to be fast and easy because even if I'm shooting BIF's I may be shooting them under vastly different conditions rendering the concept of assigning, say, U1, as my "BIF Settings" unnecessary.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm so constantly changing my camera's settings to accommodate the exact circumstances I'm shooting under at any specific moment that the idea of banking settings would just be a waste of time.

egosbar

just banking settings such as single point focus or a particular meter mode , or maybe a plus one or two exposure comp for snow , i know these things are easy enough to set but there is a settings bank and to me it doesnt remember what it needs to which is a start point , as i said why even have it , it bemuses me there must be some benifit of it but i cant see why , i know my nephew is dissapointed he cant save settings , its not a deal breaker but would be a bonus to have them for some users im sure

J-see

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm so constantly changing my camera's settings to accommodate the exact circumstances I'm shooting under at any specific moment that the idea of banking settings would just be a waste of time.

The same for me. Saved settings might make sense if I'm shooting indoors where all variables are always close to identical but outside everything is in constant change which would imply I'd have to change my saved settings directly after load so why not skip that one step.

J-see

Btw, with the D810 and even more with the D750, you really don't need many settings for birding.

There's aperture, shutter and if you really want; ISO. Besides that you use focus options. Which is usually AF-C and S to D51 depends on the circumstances. I would not know what else I'd need. Metering modes are no longer needed since with those cams, you have an exposure range which gives you quite some room when shooting. I meter matrix and am done with it.

egosbar

i dont go into the menus if i can help it after initial set up only for things that are nessasary occasionally , so i like the user one and two set up on the dial , im not sure id go to menu to use the saved settings i guess , ill find out tomorrow when i go for a shot and have a play

another feature he isnt using and i love is the press ok for 100 percent zoom for sharpness check , awesome i think rather then clicking the plus button six or seven times

egosbar

when i use the one hundred percent view it goes straight to middle of the frame , can i set it to go to the focus point that was used as obviously that is waht i want to check

skene

Sorry to disappoint you and your hopes and dreams for user adjustable settings on upper tier cameras. They were not made for on the fly switch to auto settings.
The cameras like the D300s, D4(s), D7XX, D8XX were not made to conform to the casual photographer. Which is why you would not find an "Auto" setting in camera.

And while Ken Rockwell is fun to read his opinions, don't put too much faith in what he writes. Take it only as a grain of salt, and get what you need out of it. However do not put his opinions as the definitive.

J-see

i dont go into the menus if i can help it after initial set up only for things that are nessasary occasionally , so i like the user one and two set up on the dial , im not sure id go to menu to use the saved settings i guess , ill find out tomorrow when i go for a shot and have a play

another feature he isnt using and i love is the press ok for 100 percent zoom for sharpness check , awesome i think rather then clicking the plus button six or seven times

The 100% is simply a setting. If I check my shot on the LCD, I click the middle button of the multi and am at 100% instantly. Or 200% if I'd like that.

In live I still have to check the D810 but that's something I only use for landscapes or nightshots. You can't really shoot BiF using live.

egosbar

far from auto settings , just start settings thats all and not just iso aperture and ss , i was talking metering modes , focus points , etc , no drama i shoot well and i understand photography well , i cant believe anyone would shoot solely on manual , yes it is helpful for tricky exposures but for normal exposures aperture or shutter priority for me , i like to get the shot as fast as i can if its there to be shot , i dont shoot auto , i shoot thinking depth of field , i shoot to try to keep iso at 100 if i can ,and lastly i shoot to ss to not below focal length before i press the button , definitely not auto , i shoot knowing i may need exposure compensation before i even put my eye to the camera , i shoot for composition , i shoot to eliminate distractions, and i still love user one and two lol , they are definitely not auto settings
im not saying i dont change iso aperture or ss , im saying i dont need to think metering modes or focal points etc as i know they are right for that type of shooting most of the time
im definitely not a casual shooter

Last edited: