need help...D600,7000 or 7100

monkey101

Not sure which to get. I have a D80 right now and am looking to upgrade...I know the 600 is FX and the other 2 are DX. Also have a chance at a D3 for $1000 but will need the shutter replaced as it has 400k shots on it. Is there something else to be worried about the D3 with that many pics on it?

Bill16

I would avoid a D3 with that much actuations on it for that amount. Because there is wear and tear on the other moving parts like buttons too. I'm looking for a D3 myself and I won't buy one like that.
If I were you I'd put a D700 on your list too, as it is an awesome camera! You can get a good one of those for about $1000.00 or less! :)

Last edited:

singlerosa_RIP

If you're looking for the best picture quality, go for the D600. You'll pay more for lenses, but you'll get better IQ and better high ISO performance. On the other hand, if shooting long lenses is your thing, maybe the 7100 is for you. Which ever you get, good luck!

Moab Man

I would skip the D7000. Between the D7100 and 600 depends on what you want to shoot. For sports photography, birding, and general photography I prefer my 7100. For low light, night photography, and portrait work I prefer my 600. One is not necessarily superior, different tools.

monkey101

Thanks alot...my wife has been shooting weddings and portraits and wants/needs to upgrade. She also personally likes nature shooting. I just want to double check that all her lenses can be used if she gets the 7100 or 600.

You talked about your wife needs to upgrade and you want to make sure her lenses will work. Is she shooting the D80? The D80 is a DX camera and the lenses for DX will not work on FX cameras like the D600. They will work on the D7100 though. Skip the D7000 in favor of the D7100. I have both and the D7100 is much better.

Horoscope Fish

I just saw something about oil from the shutter causing spots that are visable when you stop down...I also saw that Nikon has a repair/replacement program in place ...is this something I need to worry about?
I recently switched from a DX body to an FX body and I don't see it mentioned what lenses your wife has now for her D80. This is important because there are DX lenses and there are FX lenses and while DX lenses will "fit" on a full-frame body like the D600, they'll also shoot in DX crop mode. So yes, while DX lenses will, technically "work" on the D600 body they will work with a significant limitation. FX lenses work just fine, though, on DX bodies; no issues to deal with when putting FX glass on a DX body. We'd need to know what lenses she has now before would could tell you if they're FX or DX lenses.

As for the oil spot issue with the D600 there's no way of knowing in advance if a specific D600 body will have this issue; some do but most do not. Conventional Wisdom says the D610 is the "fixed" version of the D600. Nikon has agreed to replace the shutter mechanism on defective D600's so if you don't mind sending your camera to Nikon, they'll update it for you and that should solve the problem. Or you could look at other FX bodies like the D610 or the D750. If you decide you want to stick with a DX body I would suggest either the D5300 or the D7100.

monkey101

she has nikon dx 55-200 ED VR, nikon 70-300 AF G, 50 mm 1.8. The last two don't say dx or fx. When she does the wedding and portraits she rents the nikon 24-70 and we are looking at getting it as well as a body.

Horoscope Fish

she has nikon dx 55-200 ED VR, nikon 70-300 AF G, 50 mm 1.8. The last two don't say dx or fx. When she does the wedding and portraits she rents the nikon 24-70 and we are looking at getting it as well as a body.
The last two lenses are FX.

Nikon uses the lack of a designation AS a designation; not that that matters.