Latest capture

hotrocks

Background: The side streets in Okinawa tend to be very narrow (enough to fit one car, usually), so to make life easier the government installed street mirrors EVERYWHERE. These simple orange mirrors can translate in to really interesting photographs. I took this when I went out exploring, and I am thinking of entering it in to the Okinawa Calendar contest under artist's choice.

My goal was to continue the clouds and sky in a reflection of the sky "behind" it. Obviously, the power lines I couldn't avoid, but I think it adds a dimension to the photo.

NOTE: Please do not critique the composure of the photograph (i.e. you should have taken it more to the left or lower)--I'm not going to go back to retake it... it is a snap shot, and it is what it is. (sorry, bad experiences with critiques and nit picking over "perfection")

If you have any suggestions on post editing or cropping, or you think it's a bad picture, please do not hold back!

Cheers,

Josh

youtubesizednikon.jpg

Rick M

I happen to like the composure, it lends it's self to the purpose and enviroment of the subject. The composure help us understand. If we shot everything the way a text book told us, photography would get very boring. It appears that the mirror is acting like a polarizing filter as the reflection looks much richer in color and contrast, interesting and a nice shot!

Last edited:

Browncoat

Typically whenever anyone posts something to this critique forum, I will also check out their gallery. It helps me get a feel for where they're coming from as an artist. It also helps answer whether or not their submission here is a fluke, a one-hit-wonder among an otherwise so-so collection. Or is their submission junk, a blemish on an otherwise great portfolio?

When looking at others' stuff, I think we all put ourselves in their position. We all ask ourselves: "Would I have taken that shot?" In the 61+ images you have submitted here, I find that most of the time my answer to that question is no. I often don't understand your message. I don't see what you find interesting enough to press the shutter. That said, as an artist, we must all realize that we can't appeal to everyone. For example, I happen to think that Picasso was a hack.

With this submission, I do understand your message. You've made it obvious as to what you were trying to accomplish here. I don't think you pulled it off, but the message is clear nonetheless. By your own admission, this should be easily dismissed as non-serious work because it's a snap shot. Are you really going to submit this for a contest? This is an "artist's choice" piece that represents your work?

My goal (and the goal of many others who offer critiques here) is to help you grow. We are often our own worst critics, and its almost always beneficial to get the input of our peers to gauge our work. You have slapped a disclaimer on this and then attempted to close the door on critiquing it due to previous "bad experiences" and "nit picking over perfection". That's why no one else has responded to your post until now, despite several views. Perhaps you are one of those artists who are ultra-sensitive about their work and no one wants to risk offending you.

Don't waste our time with snap shots and disclaimers. It sounds like you are not open to suggestions at all, rather just looking for a few atta-boys and pats on the back. If you are serious about being an artist, then you must be thick skinned enough to accept criticism of your work.

ohkphoto

Snow White
it is a snap shot, and it is what it is. (sorry, bad experiences with critiques and nit picking over "perfection")

If you have any suggestions on post editing or cropping, or you think it's a bad picture, please do not hold back!
There really is no such thing as perfection in photography . . . it's more about artistic vision. A photo can be "technically perfect" and still be flat and boring.

I look at a photo and try to find something interesting and try to "feel" it. The mirror is interesting, but that may be due partially to the fact that you said it was a mirror. I also like that you included the Japanese writing in the corner.

I have no suggestions re: cropping or PP except maybe try it in BW so that it resembles more of a "street photography style". I could say what I would have thought would have made the shot more interesting; however, with your preface, I'll refrain from offering that.

For me, the photo does nothing. But, I say again, it's your vision and your photo, and that's what should matter.

KWJams

I agree with B & W.

The picture looks surreal and slightly out of kilter which benefits the composition. If it wasn't for the clutter the power lines create, it would be an Orwellian glimpse of the sky through a magical looking glass.

Also if the right hand side of all that empty sky was cropped away following the rule of thirds it would be much better IMHO.

Last edited:

hotrocks

Typically whenever anyone posts something to this critique forum, I will also check out their gallery. It helps me get a feel for where they're coming from as an artist. It also helps answer whether or not their submission here is a fluke, a one-hit-wonder among an otherwise so-so collection. Or is their submission junk, a blemish on an otherwise great portfolio?

When looking at others' stuff, I think we all put ourselves in their position. We all ask ourselves: "Would I have taken that shot?" In the 61+ images you have submitted here, I find that most of the time my answer to that question is no. I often don't understand your message. I don't see what you find interesting enough to press the shutter. That said, as an artist, we must all realize that we can't appeal to everyone. For example, I happen to think that Picasso was a hack.

With this submission, I do understand your message. You've made it obvious as to what you were trying to accomplish here. I don't think you pulled it off, but the message is clear nonetheless. By your own admission, this should be easily dismissed as non-serious work because it's a snap shot. Are you really going to submit this for a contest? This is an "artist's choice" piece that represents your work?

My goal (and the goal of many others who offer critiques here) is to help you grow. We are often our own worst critics, and its almost always beneficial to get the input of our peers to gauge our work. You have slapped a disclaimer on this and then attempted to close the door on critiquing it due to previous "bad experiences" and "nit picking over perfection". That's why no one else has responded to your post until now, despite several views. Perhaps you are one of those artists who are ultra-sensitive about their work and no one wants to risk offending you.

Don't waste our time with snap shots and disclaimers. It sounds like you are not open to suggestions at all, rather just looking for a few atta-boys and pats on the back. If you are serious about being an artist, then you must be thick skinned enough to accept criticism of your work.

How are snapshots not serious work? I suppose real photographs require countless hours of studying the subject matter and putting serious thought and effort in to it. Otherwise, it is not a real photograph. Next time I will ask the clouds to hang around a little longer.

After looking at your images, I would not have "clicked the shutter" for 90% of your photographs, but that is why they are YOUR photographs. I find most of them to be dull and meaningless. Perhaps we have different styles? I normally would not be so pompous or insulting as to throw something like that in anyone's face, but you definitely struck first blood--- why I'm not sure. After looking at your photographs, I do not see why you would be a critiquing authority on anyone here.

I was quite clear in what I was looking for in this critique. I am perfectly fine with the composure of this photograph and how it turned out, and obviously it may not please everyone, but from feedback it seems to have taken to a lot of people.

I wanted to know what, if anything, could possibly make this photograph better fit my artistic goal-- what I could change that is still within my control during post editing. I've only been shooting digital for a little over a year, and I have only been shooting and editing RAW for a few months.

I do take my photography seriously, and I try to capture interesting moments as they happen. I often seek out snapshots, rather than staging photographs and devoting a lot of time to getting it "perfect". Photography is about capturing interesting, cool, beautiful, or meaningful moments in time, and I think it is a lot more skillful and challenging to do so on the fly. Hence why I asked that no one critiqued something that I cannot go back and correct (like angles etc) Would have, should have, could have.

The images in my gallery are not a body of work or portfolio. If anything they are an evolution of my photography as I slowly learn more and more. They are purely a reference for myself and for others to look at if they want to.

I'm really sorry if I am coming off nasty, but your obvious expertise and "almighty photo moderator" vibe has struck a very bad chord with me. I do not think you have to worry about me "wasting" any more of your time here.

“To me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them.” ~Elliott Erwitt

Eye-level

Banned
Hey dude why did you start a thread in the Photo Critique category if you didn't want someone to call it out one way or the other? Most everyone called it good BTW. Hey he played the moderator card how he saw fit and I don't blame him at all. Category equals Photo Critique...be prepared for all sorts of critical comments. Come on man...

Perhaps like you claim your photography truly is but a reference for yourself and others who care to look at it...don't get your feelings hurt if someone tells you maybe you need to evolve some more. Particulary in a Photo Critique section of a forum on the internet.

Personally I don't think you used the best focal length for the situation...but the photo does indeed have some merit...at least in my eyes...the title youtube is kind of strange...I don't get it...

Browncoat

Well, it's just as I figured. You're one of those emo types.

In no way was I nasty in my critique. You will find in all of my posts here that I am very matter-of-fact. My intent was not to strike first blood, nor demean your work in any way. It was an honest opinion and I did not hold back (which is exactly what you asked for, I might add). Just because I am a moderator does not mean that I hold myself in any higher regard than anyone else here and at no point has anyone, including myself, claimed that I was some kind of critiquing authority. You will find that I also offer up my own work for critique just as much if not more than others.

What is obvious here is that you are not capable of accepting criticism of your work. That was made pretty clear in your original post. That's perfectly fine. But don't post anything else in the critique forum until you grow thicker skin to protect your fragile ego.

hotrocks

Again with the petty insults.

I can accept critisism for my work when it is given. You chose to spend more time on my request or "disclaimer" then the picture and what I was asking for help with.

ohkphoto

Snow White
and I think it is a lot more skillful and challenging to do so on the fly. Hence why I asked that no one critiqued something that I cannot go back and correct (like angles etc) Would have, should have, could have.
That's only true if your photos don't look like they were "taken on the fly". Critiquing is all about "could have's or should have's" because we take what we learn from other people's perceptions and apply it to the next time. There's more to photography than the two levels you stated: snapshot and staging. It sounds to me that once you take a shot, you're done with it and don't have any plans to revisit it for whatever reason. And what you consider "staging" is many times simply waiting for the "decisive moment".

The big difference between a "snapshooter" and a photographer is that the photographer makes the photo rather than just take it. And making the photo means composition, lighting, technique, etc., and knowing when to click. It also means critiquing your own work seriously and going back for a redo when you think you can do better.

Browncoat

I can accept critisism for my work when it is given.

That remains to be seen. I did not believe you were asking for help. Not when you prefaced your submission with things like "it is what it is" and mentioning sensitivity to previous critiques. But I will give you the benefit of a doubt and offer a full critique:

I don't like this photo because I don't believe it has any artistic value. To me, this looks like something a tourist would do, not a street photographer. This goes along with Helene's statement above of making the photo, not taking it. In my own mind, you knew that when you classified this as a snapshot. Either that or your definitions of snapshot and photograph are very different than most.

My suggestion to improve this photo would be to remove the building in the background completely. Clone in the clouds, remove the power lines, center your composition, and straighten the edges of the mirror. In other words, leave only the clouds and the sign.

But I don't believe you want to do all of that, at least...you shouldn't want to. Street photography isn't about a ton of post-processing, it's about capturing life as it happens. It's raw and unedited. And it seems as though you are predisposed to leave things as-is. If these mirrors are all over the place, then you should be able to find a more creative way to use them than this.

What you have here, in my opinion, is a good idea with no so good results. We've all had could've/should've/would've moments, and this is one of them.

Eye-level

Banned
making the photo, not taking it.

If these mirrors are all over the place, then you should be able to find a more creative way to use them than this.

What you have here, in my opinion, is a good idea

What Helene also said was something about going back and tackling the problem again...this is the great thing about photography...maybe not so much if you are a filmer...LOL Myself I have many picture situations to revisit...seeing how I am basically just a hack but like you say I feel that I am evolving...perhaps I should thank you along with my criticism for making me think about a simple photo...

The whole concept of the mirrors is indeed fascinating and it is a good idea for a subject...I think...not as good as people but hey maybe you could utilize one of these mirrors to do a self portrait...

I think you could really make the colors zip...even in black and white you could create some outstanding effects even better than what you have here. COLOR...don't go white auto balance and auto exposure...frame it...get it from cool to hot instead of the lackluster digitally selected for you exposure...explore the orange and the red...

Clouds are cool...or they are warm...or you could juxtopose a colored mirror vs a B&W background and pop my eyeballs out and blow my mind with cleverness and creativity :) ...red filters, orange filters, green filters, blue filters, haze filters, you need to attack this great idea of yours...I bet you can get many photos out of it...try a simple device such as rotating or twisting your camera body to make distortions that are perhaps more interesting than the straight on amateur frame this subject thing...

Can a macro lens taking a closeup of the reflection of a mirror within a mirror work???

Your approach to photography is sound...fly...the sky is the limit!!! I don't know about youtube though sir... :)

eagle.jpg

Last edited: