sensor dust check

thequeenscheese

I'm trying to do a test pick to see if the sensor is clean, but everytime it says exposure setting are wrong adjust and try again.
can anyone tell me what I should be using for the d3200? layman terms please Oz

AC016

Shoot at a wall that is one solid color or the sky - if it's blue - and use the smallest aperture (biggest F number, like 22). This should pick up any dust or dirt that may be on your sensor. Of course, you may have to zoom in a bit to see it clearly.

Horoscope Fish

I'm trying to do a test pick to see if the sensor is clean, but everytime it says exposure setting are wrong adjust and try again.
can anyone tell me what I should be using for the d3200? layman terms please Oz
How to Spot Dust on Your DSLR Sensor

A neat trick I was taught is to invert the test image (Ctrl+I in Photoshop, if I recall correctly) so you're seeing a "negative" if you will. This helps you see spots on the sensor you might not see any other way.

Last edited:

Pretzel

Another neat tool/trick is just using the "visualize spots" tool in LR5+ or LR CC. It may make you paranoid, though, as it will often catch spots you don't see at first glance... LOL Once it points them out, though, it's pretty easy to spot them in other pics as well.

I usually find a nice sunlit white wall, close the aperture down and shoot a few random shots, then compare photos. Skies work well too, although pointing your camera up at extreme angles will often cause more dust to fall on the sensor.