Attachments

• rsz_dsc_0134 (1).jpg
    rsz_dsc_0134 (1).jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 142

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
So, from your title you say you find it boring… I will give you my opinion and please take it with a grain of salt. I'm just trying to show you what could be done with a shot that has no specific point of interest. I find there are too many elements in the shot where my eyes can drift and just move around without stopping on something.
In this case, I think the door and the stone wall could become interesting if they were to be accented by a little Photoshop.

I took the liberty of enhancing the contrast, saturation and sharpness of your shot just to give it a little more punch. Now you let me know if you think my version has more interest and has become "less boring". It's still the same door but it now (maybe) has more character.

rsz_dsc_0134 (1) copy.jpg

Browncoat

All of my critiques are to be taken with a stiff margarita. Hold the salt.

First and foremost, I am posting here against my better judgement...as will everyone else who responds. The title of this thread doesn't exactly lend itself well to being critiqued now does it? After all, why on earth would anyone want to look at a boring photograph? Have a bit more faith in your abilities!

That said...this is as advertised, and indeed a boring photograph. The subject, however is not boring. This is actually a very interesting door. I am particularly interested in the lines on the door itself and the old handles. I also like what appears to be a stencil of a bomb on the stonework next to the door. Something about this scene obviously caught your eye enough to photograph it, and that's a good thing because there are definitely objects of interest here.

My critique is: next time, look harder. Find what it is that has really peaked your interest and focus in on that.

fotojack

This, to me, is not a boring photograph. It's not spectacular, by any means, but certainly not boring. There are many elements in this shot that add interest...such as all the vertical lines and horizontal lines, in all parts of the shot. Look around the shot again......look at all the lines......on the stone wall, the beam steps leading up to the door, the door itself, the top of the stone wall, the frame of the door, the branches of the trees are horizontal and the tree is a vertical aspect. Most interestingly, it's what YOU saw in this shot that grabbed your attention. It's up to the viewer to determine if it's pleasing or not. And so endeth my 2 cents worth. :)

hotrocks

I think don't think this is a boring photograph at all, and I do think Marcel's adjustments are spot on... There is something about unique doors (or windows) that really turn my photo nerd sense on...

There is a lot of color potential in this picture. You should definitely play with the contrast and sharpness--- if you have the RAW I would turn the sharpness luminescence up to smooth out the sharpness.

Anyway, nice shot with great post editing potential.

-Josh

ohkphoto

Snow White
Here's what I find really interesting --the lines of the door and masonry, the varying textures, and the little plants growing on the steps. I would crop it to take out the trees and sky and put the focus back on the door, and also work with some pp filters. I agree with Anthony . . . you found something interesting there to want to photograph it. I think this is a nice photo, and can be a great photo once YOU decide what drew you to it.

robinchun

So, from your title you say you find it boring… I will give you my opinion and please take it with a grain of salt. I'm just trying to show you what could be done with a shot that has no specific point of interest. I find there are too many elements in the shot where my eyes can drift and just move around without stopping on something.
In this case, I think the door and the stone wall could become interesting if they were to be accented by a little Photoshop.

I took the liberty of enhancing the contrast, saturation and sharpness of your shot just to give it a little more punch. Now you let me know if you think my version has more interest and has become "less boring". It's still the same door but it now (maybe) has more character.

View attachment 3668

Thanks Marcel..I had already warmed it up a bit in Windows Live by adding saturation,brightness and highlights..you have gone a bit more than I was afraid to, and thankyou for that..What I find interesting here is that the title of the thread has had the desired affect in that it's made you and others respond where you might have otherwise not done so..its not that I found the picture boring at all..if I had titled the thread simply 'what do you think' would you have looked?
btw..thanks to the others for there comments too

Robin

ohkphoto

Snow White
What I find interesting here is that the title of the thread has had the desired affect in that it's made you and others respond where you might have otherwise not done so..its not that I found the picture boring at all..if I had titled the thread simply 'what do you think' would you have looked?
Yes, we would have looked and commented on your photo. That is what the critique is for. We feel that if someone has posted a photo to the critique, they want feedback, and somebody always provides it. We even take into consideration how sensitive the poster is.

Your title was misleading and insincere, and I, for one, feel like I have "egg on my face" because I responded with concern for your feelings.

I think I'll go have breakfast now.

robinchun

Yes, we would have looked and commented on your photo. That is what the critique is for. We feel that if someone has posted a photo to the critique, they want feedback, and somebody always provides it. We even take into consideration how sensitive the poster is.

Your title was misleading and insincere, and I, for one, feel like I have "egg on my face" because I responded with concern for your feelings.

I think I'll go have breakfast now.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings..never the intention..and I welcome your/all comments,and I am certainly not trying to misslead or be insincere!
My apologies..enjoy your breakfast.

Robin

Rick M

As Helene stated, I would definitely crop out the trees and sky to focus on the door and walls. A shot like this also needs symetry, the angle of the shot makes it feel off balance. I think a head on shot including the steps, door and wall only would appear more balanced and focused on the subject. If you ever shoot this again, I think it would look great in HDR, given the colors and textures

Last edited:

KWJams

I'll try not to bore you with my comments. :rolleyes:

But if you are still reading this, I would have taken that picture from a child's perspective. That door would be huge looking and foreboding.

The trees show no detail which would have been alright as silhouettes if the trees in the far background were not so over exposed.