New (to me) computer

fotojack

I know I have been very lax in getting anything posted in here for the last while, but there's a reason. I've just acquired a lap top computer (Lenovo T61) with Windows 7 Ultimate, and I'm trying to find my way through this operating system. Little bit of a learning curve here, not having used W7 before. I've been an XP user since it came out and I'm very comfortable with it.
I got this lap top for $100, so I considered it quite a deal. :) Got it for storing shots while I'm out and about, and for the upcoming wedding I have to shoot in two weeks.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Congrats on your new PC Jack. I too had to struggle a bit with the Win 7 since I've used XP for over 9 years. You probably just need to upgrade the ram in order to make it response faster.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Jack: I love my ThinkPads! I had a T60 before my current x201. If you are running Photoshop or Lightroom, you might get an error or warning message about the monitor driver. You can fix this by installing the monitor files from Lenovo support. PM me if you can't find it.

Another great source for info is the thinkpad.com forums.

AxeMan - Rick S.

Way to go Jack. Great deal hope it works out for you. Now that you have Windows 7 you can use the "Snipping tool" we been tell you about.

To find it, go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Snipping Tool. Alternatively, you can type the word "snip" in the start menu search box. The first result should be the Snipping Tool.

Last edited:
I have a degree in Computers and several computers in the house. One XP a couple of Vista and a couple of W7. XP is a workhorse. I really like W7 better than any OS they have ever had.

fotojack

Congrats on your new PC Jack. I too had to struggle a bit with the Win 7 since I've used XP for over 9 years. You probably just need to upgrade the ram in order to make it response faster.
I have 2 gb of ram in it, and it's a 32 bit system. Therefore, anything over 3 gb is useless to it. A 64 bit system will use however much ram you can fit in it. In my case the max I can put in it is 4 gb.......kind of pointless, really, if it can only use 3 of it. No, it's fast enough........I just have to learn to navigate in it. :)

fotojack

I have a degree in Computers and several computers in the house. One XP a couple of Vista and a couple of W7. XP is a workhorse. I really like W7 better than any OS they have ever had.
Yup, I agree, XP is a workhorse. I never had a lick of trouble with mine all these years. And from what I've read and what people are saying about the Win7 OS being the best platform yet, I tend to agree with them. I have much to learn on it, though. :)

fotojack

Way to go Jack. Great deal hope it works out for you. Now that you have Windows 7 you can use the "Snipping tool" we been tell you about.

To find it, go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Snipping Tool. Alternatively, you can type the word "snip" in the start menu search box. The first result should be the Snipping Tool.

Hey Thanks, Rick. I had forgotten about that little tool! lol Thanks for reminding me. :) I'm still in the process of loading some of my programs and web sites into the Thinkpad right now, so I'll certainly get around to doing that. I'm also in the process of getting my gear ready for that wedding photo shoot in 2 weeks. I want to make sure I have everything ticketyboo. :)

fotojack

Jack: I love my ThinkPads! I had a T60 before my current x201. If you are running Photoshop or Lightroom, you might get an error or warning message about the monitor driver. You can fix this by installing the monitor files from Lenovo support. PM me if you can't find it.

Another great source for info is the thinkpad.com forums.

Thanks for the link. Seems like a good forum to join. :) And I looked for that driver....can't find it. Wanna email it to me, please? [email protected]