800E to 810....

oldsalt

I tried out the new 810 yesterday and I'm thinking (very hard) about jumping ship from my 800E to the new kid on the block.... for two reasons... it's soooooo quiet and as I'm getting into bird photography quite a bit of late that would be a help.
And the second thing is the "handgrip" ... only a small improvement but it's MUCH better than the 800E ... I always felt the grip on my 800E was a bit skinny and I wasn't quite happy with it - and after trying out the 810 it's a "deal-maker" for me... so now I've just got to get in contact with a mate of mine who may buy my "old" 800E (7900 actuations) and we'll go from there... the prices here in Australia range from a low of $3300 up to $3900 at some stores... one place I rang is throwing in a pair of Nikon binoculars to try and swing the deal... we'll see.....
cheers

rocketman122

you will take a HUGE hit if you sell the D800E. they sell for very cheap with very few clicks. its quite a price bump to the 810 vs what youd get for your 800. you have to decide if a few Db and slightly better grip is worth that. for me, IQ/high iso and FPS would be priority for me to upgrade vs ergonomics and lower DB. to each his own though.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I tried out the new 810 yesterday and I'm thinking (very hard) about jumping ship from my 800E to the new kid on the block.... for two reasons... it's soooooo quiet and as I'm getting into bird photography quite a bit of late that would be a help.
And the second thing is the "handgrip" ... only a small improvement but it's MUCH better than the 800E ... I always felt the grip on my 800E was a bit skinny and I wasn't quite happy with it - and after trying out the 810 it's a "deal-maker" for me... so now I've just got to get in contact with a mate of mine who may buy my "old" 800E (7900 actuations) and we'll go from there... the prices here in Australia range from a low of $3300 up to $3900 at some stores... one place I rang is throwing in a pair of Nikon binoculars to try and swing the deal... we'll see.....
cheers

This idea didn't even come close to me as a consideration but if in your case, and if you think that the quieter mirror slap will benefit your photography and have the funds for it, then go for it.

oldsalt

Hey - thanks everyone for your comments... it's a bit of NAS I suppose but someones got to keep the Nikon company solvent haven't they ;) and as they say "it's only money after all".... and it works sooooo well with my 300mm 2.8 - at least the camera is quiet unlike me who is stumbling about in the bush stepping on noisy twigs and cursing all the mosquitoes who try to feast on me while I try to get good bird shots.... "it's all fun".
cheers