Sharpness settings

canuck257

I have spent so much time on this forum learning what to do when my 5300 arrives I think I am overloaded. Certainly now it has arrived I can't remember where I found various tips and advice.

I read a suggestion that several settings that relate to picture sharpness should be increased from the factory default which apparently is quite low. Can someone point me at that article please or, offer the information again here.

If you are shooting JPG I would suggest that you use the Fine>>Large setting and also set your camera for better sharpness.

Go into your Menus and highlight the "Shooting" menu (the camera icon)

Drop down to "Picture Controls" and click right one time.

From here, highlight "Standard" and then click right one time.

From this settings menu, increase the "Sharpness" setting to "7".

Drop down and increase the "Saturation" setting +1 notch on the slider.

Press "OK" to exit the menus and you're done.

canuck257

I found that one guys thank you but the article I'm referring to mentioned changing several sharpness settings so I guess it was referring to "Scenes". Can you tell me how to get into the "Scenes" menu to do this?

I will be starting tomorrow as soon as it's light. The camera only arrived at 6pm today.

Do you plan to do any Post Processing and if so using what program? The reason is that shooting in RAW is a much better choice but only if you plan to do post processing and only if you know what you are doing.

The Sharpness setting is not for the scene mode just set it using the directions I posted earlier. There are a number of selections under that setting so set sharpness on all of them to start with so you can change between them till you figure out which one you like. Personally I like the Vivid setting or at least I did before I quit shooting JPEG altogether. I only shoot RAW now.

Side note: If you start with shooting JPEG I would suggest shooting JPEG FINE Large PLUS RAW. Use the JPEG host for now and later when you decide to get serious and shoot RAW you will have these to go back to and process.

canuck257

I have a copy of Photoshop Essentials that I will be using for Post Processing though that will be a steep learning curve.

I have followed your instructions and changed the Picture Controls settings as you suggested.

I will start with JPEG FINE large PLUS RAW and see what happens. I will be taking lots of shots solely for the purposes of learning the camera and PP. Composition and end product pictures can wait for a while.

canuck257

Don or somebody, can take me step by step through the process of selecting JPEG fine plus RAW PLEASE? At the moment my camera will not let me do it so obviously I am in the wrong "mode or program" to achieve this.

canuck257

I have tried that, it tells me "that option is not available at current settings or in the camera's current state"

On edit, I had the lens locked closed, this is what was preventing me from accessing that option.

Last edited: