Delete or not delete (that is the question!!)

nikonjim

Hi good folks!!
Just returned to photography after a long period of illness, and since I recently retired, I now have more time to dedicate to my once favourite hobby!!
I put some images on my desktop after "doctoring" them a bit in Photoshop Elements 13.
I now have a desktop covered in shots I'd rather have back in their files.
1. How can this be done? I tried drag and drop, but was told that the images were already in that file.
2. if I delete the desktop copy, will that also delete the copy I have on file on Photoshop??
Sorry for appearing to be so thick, but it's been a while!!:eek::eek:
Regards
Jim

Blade Canyon

To be safe, you could create a new folder on your desktop called "PSpix" or something, then drag and drop them all into that folder. That way, you still have the original version in its original folder, and you have your Photoshopped versions in a different folder. Plus, pictures that you Photoshop are pictures you probably like, so after some time that PSpix folder becomes a collection of favorites.

To make a new folder on your desktop, just right-click on the desktop, then select New then Folder.

Horoscope Fish

Hi good folks!!
Just returned to photography after a long period of illness, and since I recently retired, I now have more time to dedicate to my once favourite hobby!!
I put some images on my desktop after "doctoring" them a bit in Photoshop Elements 13.
I now have a desktop covered in shots I'd rather have back in their files.
1. How can this be done? I tried drag and drop, but was told that the images were already in that file.
2. if I delete the desktop copy, will that also delete the copy I have on file on Photoshop??
Sorry for appearing to be so thick, but it's been a while!!:eek::eek:
Regards
Jim
Just too be clear... Digital images are files and files go into folders. Now, if you have existing files in a folder with the same name as the files you're trying to put into that folder you'll need to re-name the new files (the ones you "doctored" in PSE) or else you'll need to over-write the existing files with the new ones because you can't have two files in the same folder that have the same name. Well, another option would be to re-name the old files but the point is the same; you can't have to files bearing the same name in the same folder (oh, and your Desktop is a folder as far as your computer is concerned).

Also, PSE does not "store" files; it catalogs them and allows you to save them pretty much anywhere on your computers hard drive. The catalog is simply an organizational tool of PSE that helps you keep track of your photo's. So yes, if you modify one of your images using PSE and then re-save it without changing the name, you will have over-written your original.