Reviewers who grumble...

Woodyg3

Contributor
Okay, there are tons of reviewers who are unhappy that the D7200 wasn't more of an upgrade over the D7100. I think they were either wanting a $2000+ camera priced at $1200, or what they really wanted Nikon to do was come out with a D400 (or whatever Nikon would call it) with features similar to the D750, 10 fps and a miracle DX sensor.

Nikon fixed the most often complained of issue with the D7100 by improving the buffer size greatly, and they made several other incremental improvements. As more and more people get the camera and use it, we'll have more to talk about, of course. I suppose they should have named it the D7100S so as not to raise some people's expectations too much. Really, though, for $1200, I don't see much of an issue to complain about. What do you all think?

donaldjledet

All I have to say is I believe that the six or seven f.p.s. is really good enough doesn't have to be 10 f.p.s. If you know your wildlife or sport really good you can time when to start to get the shot you are looking for. Spray and pray is really not needed.

Bill16

A D400 would have grabbed my attention and possibly interest in purchasing it! Lol But the D7200 sounds about how I figured it would be, even before info came out about it. So I think we sometimes dream of the Nikon model we personally want, and even knowing better we hope this new model or that new model we can afford will be that perfect camera! With the weight factor being talked about, and lighter being preferred, I doubt they will ever make a D400 that would fit my idea of what it should be! Lol :)

I'm lucky, because my cameras were known factor to me and well tested out to be awesome models, though older tech! So I have no complaints nor unrealized expectations with my D300 and D700 Nikon's! I got exactly what I expected!lol :)

mikew_RIP

I think the jury is still out for me as to is it enough of an upgrade for me,at the moment its not been in the hands of enough knowledgeable users for us to find exactly what the new focus unit and exeed 4 can do in a Dx.We know the buffer is an improvement although i could manage with out that lets wait and see about the other two.Is it an exercise in fund raising on Nikon's part, possibley as even if its a different sensor its one they already had so no real new bits but just maybe existing bits have been put together in a better way.

Nero

Personally, after using the camera I think people should actually try it out before they bash it. It's a camera that on paper, seems like an incremental update but is actually worth more than the sum of its parts. The AF for one is definitely improved even though it still has the same number of points, built-in WiFi is much better than using one of those adapters, and even at 6fps the camera shoots fast enough that it should do most action shooters justice. Plus, as mentioned the buffer is far better which was the only real negative of the D7100. Plus much better ISO range (most people won't bother going higher than 3200-6400 but for those select few the capability is there.) The new processor alone makes all of this better.

Sure I would have liked 4k video but the lack of it is something I can live with and the fact that 60p video is only available in 1.3x crop mode is odd but I'm not going to do much slow-mo personally plus there are ways of replicating it in editing.

I've barely begun to delve into it but I see no reason to pay attention to naysayers. It's like with smartphones, these days people expect every new model to be sort of miraculous breakthrough in innovation blowing away its predecessor and if it's anything less they only see it as a small update and not worth bothering with.

cbay

Video was a big interest with the new model; and i was hoping to have 60fps outside of crop mode and a tilt screen, but i would buy a lcd hood/loupe anyway (my eyes aren't what they used to be). And really the 1.3 crop isn't so bad. See how easy it is to accept the circumstances when you've already made your mind up to buy something? lol

Moab Man

I personally hate all the add-ons: video, gps, wi-fi. All of these add to the one more thing to break or cause an error factor that brings everything to a halt. And since it's a computer it means that all the other components that are just fine will not work correctly because it's hung up on the non-camera stuff.

Lawrence

I personally hate all the add-ons: video, gps, wi-fi. All of these add to the one more thing to break or cause an error factor that brings everything to a halt. And since it's a computer it means that all the other components that are just fine will not work correctly because it's hung up on the non-camera stuff.

I feel the same way - although I am hardly qualified to talk - as I have no use for any of these.
Besides I have my D7100 now and may have got it at a lower price due to the impending release of the D7200 so I have that to be grateful to the D7200 for! :)

Ironwood

The only thing that limits me with my D7100 is its low-light performance. It would be nice to have better, but for now I will be staying with what I have got.

mikew_RIP

The only thing that limits me with my D7100 is its low-light performance. It would be nice to have better, but for now I will be staying with what I have got.

There is the possibility the D7200 will improve on it but you do realize you could need FX dont you.:D

Ironwood

There is the possibility the D7200 will improve on it but you do realize you could need FX dont you.:D

Right now I probably want an FX body to solve my low light niggles, but I probably don't need one just yet :rolleyes:.

I agree, the D7200 will be an improvement on the D7100, I will stick with my D7100 for now though.

Horoscope Fish

Right now I probably want an FX body to solve my low light niggles, but I probably don't need one just yet...
If only dynamic range got HALF the attention the mega-pixel "race" has and does.

*sigh*

I've said for a long time I'd gladly give up half my existing MP for a few more stops of DR...

Ironwood

If only dynamic range got HALF the attention the mega-pixel "race" has and does.

*sigh*

I've said for a long time I'd gladly give up half my existing MP for a few more stops of DR...
Yes, give me a 16-20MP DX sensor with better high iso and DR, they can keep all the other bells and whistles :)

Bukitimah

I have not tried but only tested both in the showroom. They both are fantastic cameras in my opinion and meet my expectation for high ISO performance. Something that I am looking at for DX instead of FX and having to spend money on lenses.

I am very happy to see the 7200 and whatever that Nikon will be rolling out. Not because I will be jumping in any sooner BUT with all these new models, the pre-own7100 is getting cheaper! I can find reasonable set at USD550.

Whatever I saved will go the the much needed lenses which are if not more important. My 2-cent.

Anyone who is able to compare the AF performance of the 7200 and 7100 in normal room lighting with a 5.6 lens would do a great favour by writing about it .

Nero

Well I can't compare to a D7100 personally but I can tell you this camera has focused very well even in low light and this is with my 18-105mm kit lens.

From what I'm reading it's noticeably improved over its predecessor and I believe it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 4